Home Videos Games Podcastle

Discuss: SUSD Forum: The Great Pendragon Campaign

Wow!

The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

Cynian is on fire with rolls :smiley:

Cubeth is going to be sooo annoyed when she finds out there were only two and she missed out on killing terrestrial waterleapers! I figured you were going to max out on them.

Actually, it is probably for the best as I am going to be a ghost during the day until the holiday is over. Also, someone has to make sure something doesn’t happen to Owain.

Seriously, why don’t we have drone defence at prisons and vital infrastructure

It makes me mad, I put this much thought into every flight I make, whether commercial filming or just for fun - total time spent filling it out is about 15 minutes, 5 minutes per page. It’s not difficult to use a drone responsibly, but people like me will pay the price for these wallys - I’l be the one required to go on a £1000 + course every three years, and if someone wants to disrupt our infrastructure, there will be nothing stopping them walking into the country with a dozen drones in suitcases.

I missed it at first since I just now got home, but it made it on Google news under the “World” section.

Never Enter Stinky Washrooms

This situation you guys have gotten yourself into is rather intense!

Probably a good thing I did not have a knight there, or you would still be on Round 1!

@RossM, you always have very interesting links! Posting this again here so people don’t have to search for it.

Basically I was in a similar position to this, and wanted something authentic…

Scouting The Saxon Army in Malahaut in fact. Balen does exclaim “God’s Nails!”

I have run into that as well, but always chickened out and put something like: She curses and then says, “blah blah blah, blah”.

That way, people could put their own level of/emphasis on/ what the curse could be based on how they are reading the piece at the time, and I don’t feel like I offended anyone. Also, it would be interesting to know what people thought the curse to be just to see the ranges of a mild curse to the severe, because in the past I have always had a particular phrase or word in mind and it would be interesting to see if it matched.

In order of severity, invoking a Saint’s name then God’s name.
There’s actually a section on this in the Pendragon rulebook:

Knights regularly swear to accentuate their
ardor or to emphasize their fervor, but usually in
a subtle way acceptable to the tender ears of their courtly times. Like most people, though, many knights swear even when swearing is not needed.
It is sometimes hard for us unimaginative mod-
erns to tell that the knights were, in fact, cursing.
The favored method is not, as in the modern Eng-
lish-speaking Western world, to insult some body
part or carnal act, but instead, in the French fashion, to insult something sacred. Sacrilegious swearing is itself is forbidden, of
course, by the second commandment: “Thou shalt not take the name of thy Lord God in vain.” Hence, instead, knights tend to curse things close to God or to other sacred matters — but not actually using His name, thereby satisfying the letter of the law.
Popular oaths of this nature are as follows:
• Gadzooks (or even ’Zooks): A bastardization
of “God’s Hooks,” referring literally to the nails that hung Christ upon the cross.
• God’s Teeth: The favored oath of King John
of England. Other oaths recorded are derived along the same lines: “God’s Head,” “God’s Death,” and “by the Holy Face of Lucca.”
• S’Blood: A bastardization of “God’s Blood”
(or more popularly, “Bloody” in general), referring
to the most precious part of the Body of Christ. This particular expression comes extremely close to profanity, and is usually discouraged. Another popular oath similar to this one — and similarly offensive — is “Zounds” (pronounced zoonds, from “God’s Wounds”).
Swearing by saints was also popular among
knights, as if invoking the saint’s name would keep his or her attention turned towards the speaker.
There were a number of popular saints in King Arthur’s time:
• St. Michael, the Archangel of Battle.
• St. George, the Dragonslayer.
• St. Theodore, called “the Recruit.”
• St. Demetrius, “the Proconsul.”
• St. Procopius, “the Officer.”
• St. Mercury, a Scythian soldier and martyr.
• St. Maurice, head of the Theban Legion, which
mutinied rather than participate in pagan sacrifices.

I also always had Sir Much swear off screen in the brutal and short language of the Saxons.

Did he learn to keep his voice down as a squire when mouthing such Saxon filth in the presence of Balen?

In fairness, it’s only been used in the heat of battle.

Balen’s never really been that focussed on his squire at these moments.

Do you use blasphemies/religious things in swearings in modern english?

In Italy (and in the numerous Italian dialects) blasphemous 'bestemmie" are incredibly diffused, on par with sexual swearings and the are so many terrible varieties of bestemmie in different regions and provinces, and even in different time periods.
And this may sound odd or just peculiar, given how Catholicism is intertwined with Italian identity.

I got the impression that it’s not the same in English, but I may be wrong and it’s only my experiences.

:wink: I think this is a bit more complex than you think. I think there are also cultural contexts which have to be taken into account as well. As an American English speaker, I think there are some things which over here make no sense to English(British, Queen’s, UK) English speakers and vice versa.

Over here in the States, I can confirm that both the non-religious and religious alike can be heard uttering the Lords’ name in vain when stubbing their toes or being very cross with the actions of another. For a moment I thought of giving examples, but then thought better as it would probably get the post flagged.

In English we mostly focus on sex and sexual acts, bodily functions, particularly things that come out of the body and just straight forward slurs - but it’s interesting that “Jesus Christ” is often used as an alternative to swearing in England, and it’s way more socially acceptable - but also, religious tones can be added to some of the above - “holy shit” for example, and just straight foward “hell” - though like “Jesus Christ” that’s far more socially acceptable than the others.

So I googled “bestemmie” and found this link. Some of the swear examples are similar to what I have heard in English in the States.

Wow, we do get into some very interesting conversations, don’t we!

I spend so many hours a day with workmen and doing terrible bestemmie while doing physical work for some people is like singing.
I’m so fed up with terrible and articulated blasphemous which go far beyond just the vane pronunciation of the name of God that I cannot use them in a rpg!
(without considering off course faith matters)