Home Videos Games Podcastle

Discuss: SUSD Forum: The Great Pendragon Campaign

Sir Arnold is clearly boned when it comes to the wine. That orchard had better fail!

Taxes on war or a war on tax?

Tax for funding war. That’s what Kings do, right?

Hogarth would war for free.

But it costs money to keep him in the field. Luckily, his land should support him, so Hogarth can theorectically ‘war for free’.

The King will be paying for household knights and mercenaries. More coin, more men.

I was open to any attempt, my immediate thought is a certain knight with +18 geniality bonus in the last round may have had a really good chance at this!

You mean Round 4, correct? I understood that at the beginning of Round 5 the bottle was already opened and nothing could be done.

P.S. Thanks for posting that for me in the main thread Will.

I was very prepared to continue with my attempt, but I was really torn. Which story line was more important to me? Cubeth or Narwar? It was really tough; but, I take character knowledge very seriously, and Cubeth was unaware of the extent of Narwar’s “investment” in the wine… So I thought: ‘what would be fairest for her in the situation’, would she really press farther with a hunch and risk offending the Earl or even the King? Or would she feel like mentioning it was enough to stay her curiosity? Ultimately, I figured, in her mind, it was just a bottle of wine and if the King wanted to drink it, there was nothing that was going to stop him. Also, she had a rather big carrot dangling in front of her distracting her.

In hind sight, I probably would not have played the ‘Queasy’ card as I miss interpenetrated the wording and missed the next round (thought I just missed the current round, victim of sleepybrain)… But she could have been knocked out if she dueled with the ‘Insult to a Lady’ card and would have lost out on much more…

I knew there would be a negative consequence for Narwar, but I did not expect madness. Really he had been going mad as it was, and I need to discuss with Will what we will post on that subject.

I have some more feelings on this subject, but am pressed for time today… Perhaps, I will have more time to organize them and have them make some sense!

Oh, I forgot to welcome you officially to the lost character club!

Thanks!
With Narwar, it was inevitable!

Remember, he was dead once!

I would have allowed an interrupt!

:scream:

Ack! You should not have told me that! …I did not even know that was a possibility…

That is what happens when a rookie is behind the wheel! :wink:
Don’t forget this is my first RPG! (though I have been at it for… wow, almost a year!)

It usually happens fairly naturally! You were roleplaying brilliantly (and I forget this is your first time, you RP like you’ve been at it for years) and I certainly don’t want only you to carry the burden of failing in that task - you weren’t the only player there!

As I say, I would have entertained any reasonable attempt, and I suspect had it been important to any of the other players, they would have got on it - it only came important when the consequences were discovered, which sounds like fine motivation to me to fix the issue, when you get a chance :wink:

I still do not know anything about that famous wine but somehow in a parallel universe it remained sealed.

Honestly, I felt like I was pushing it a bit too far, so I let off the gas a bit. When I look back at my wall of text, sometimes I feel I am dominating the situation and I hope that is/was not the case.

Oh, I don’t. I had a good shot at stopping it, but work has been physically demanding the last several weeks and sometimes I have to re-read posts several times to get the correct version of things. And some things I still misread!

This dialogue of character development is something I was wanting to express earlier, but not able to. And this is probably why I did not try to push the envelope too far. To Cubeth, it was just a bottle of wine. Hopefully, I am not showing my hand too much here, but she is very practical. She saw it as a situation of ‘wow, after all that and me getting hurt, it would suck if the King died’, but blowing a chance with something she had struggled to find in Silchester and Londinium (finding a spouse that was good enough for her), she was not going to risk making the Earl mad for a hunch which, in the end, was proved unfounded. No one was poisoned, and no evil spirits came forth from it, so to her, all is good. If prior to the feast had she talked to her brother, he would have mentioned it to her because she would have forced the information out of him because I was writing him in the throes of a near passion crisis as it was. With that information then she would have put her brother’s mental health as the top priority before her desires (fams y’all!). But, it creates a very beautiful story that was played out by a random dice roll months ago… The son is like the father, to disappear to search for someone who is gone… Perhaps? We will have to see if Narwar shows back up and what Will has in store for him. But it is very interesting, I already have in mind how she will respond to this if other knights ask her about it and if people have been paying attention (that is directed at all the people clicking the links in the top of this thread spamming me with ‘Nice Share’ Badges :wave: thanks for reading!) you should not be surprised.

Click if you want a summary of unfounded thoughts of Narwar's descent into Madness. Very Spoilery!!!

Narwar’s problem was a classic desperation to please. Without having his father around as a child, he really wanted to prove himself by making others happy by helping out. He was very close to his siblings and was pretty much their father figure for them, as much as a squire can be! Hence his dungeon visit defending Cynian. He is usually successful in his initial intent, but sometimes the consequences come back to bite him really hard. The previous example: Intent-Defend and Protect friend. Consequence- friend’s comments get him locked up. But he always shrugged the consequences off… Until the trip to Cambria…

As part of the structure of the family lore of the Dynasty of Ullin I (The Ullin we know was named after his Great Grandfather, I know this was a bit of a no-no, but we rarely talk about G-Grandads, and I make it easier by saying ‘Ullin’s Great Grandfather’ to make it easier), Narwar’s father is adopted… Maybe? That is what the characters think, it is all very grey, and if I remember I was allowing Will to fill in some of those gaps as potential story leads… But the important part is there are many who have just vanished, without a trace, never to be heard of again so even immediate family information is dodgy. Well, it is an old family and though not pagan, they take oaths and vows seriously. When Narwar made that blood oath, he sealed his fate more than what Will may have thought or intended. He had made a vow to protect the Lady at all costs and when he felt he failed, he could not reconcile it. Even if she was never real he believed that she was, which sometimes is more dangerous. And in this case, it probably caused him to go mad. In the modern sense, he was blue screening and it caused his mental state to deteriorate.

Fun fact: My writing education was crap growing up. If I had better instruction I would be much better and much faster at writing!

Personal Discovery: It appears I seem to value better story over best gameplay move… That may be dangerous in the future…

My view - This is a role playing game. The best ‘gameplay move’ is to play the role of your character, which you did. It was established that Cubeth hadn’t spoken much to her family at all since running away, so why would her brother and wine have any connection?

Certainly from Owain’s side of things, it was just a really expensive bottle of wine. Maybe Uther should have sold it rather than drinking it, but exaggerated gestures of wealth and expenditure are the mark of Kings. There was no reason to consider stopping it from happening.

I tend to play for the player - and every player is different. Some value story over all else, some try to be as good as the game as possible. Neither are wrong, neither cause problems.

I once did a stream with some youtubers / e-gamers and the difference was stark - the youtubers were at one extreme, letting the dice dictate what happened, almost putting no effort into the roleplay before rolling and everything into crafting those rolls into compelling stories, while the gaming pro’s were all about min maxing their characters, finding every edge in combat that the rules allowed. They would metagame shamelessly, and their “character” was just them.

I have, over the years learned to GM mixed groups to a point where I don’t feel the need to stop a player going for a particular style of play, I am confident enough that I can keep the game being fun for all - it only becomes a problem when one player’s style is cramping another’s - and none of this particularly refers to this group, I’m more thinking of older games! Play By Forum is particularly suited to managing different play styles, as is Pendragon RPG!

@UllinBethalto
I still miss many bits about this whole wine stuff…but please, who cares about who has the fault of what?
I feel you are doing Great here!
Let just play and have fun! It’s a game with no winner or loser!
You are doing well!

Leddicus knows that Uther had a bottle of the best wine in the world from Cambria gifted to him by Earl Roderick. It is valuable and Uther has spent a lot of money fighting the Saxons in Malahaut, the Franks on the continent and securing his kingdom against his own Saxon incursons, replacing killed knights and equipment - and has been able to do so because it is known he has this bottle of wine, which would have sold for fabulous sums of money to the Israelite bankers. Having just opened and drunk the wine, Uther no longer has the ability to sell it.

That equipment and training must be paid for, and he is a man of honour so has no alternative but to either raise taxes to replace the value of the wine or cut back on the aid given to knights, meaning that they will have to pay for it themselves - things like paying for every county to retain several scribes that any knight can use, now the counties have to pay the scribes themselves - countless cutbacks which add up to one level of economic income lost in every manor or estate across the land.

What Leddicus does not know anything about is why other knights are so passionate about the wine, and he’s not alone. I don’t think many player knights do, and certainly no NPC knights know why, probably Merlin tormenting knights with his magic again - so Leddicus is in good company with his lack of knowledge!

How is everyone doing in the child rearing stakes? How many children does the Earl have for that matter?