Home Videos Games Podcastle

Discuss: SUSD Forum: The Great Pendragon Campaign

Old Stuff

I remember seeing this being organized last summer and being bummed out because of all the stuff that I had going on I was not going to have time to participate. I finally have had a chance to start reading (OMG they are at 5215 posts!!! and counting!), and this is great!

I was about to start copying and pasting it into a word doc for those late to the party to make it faster to read, but I just now got to post 1422 and discovered there is a wiki for it:
https://sites.google.com/view/susdtgpc/home

I hope that it was ok to post this here. I do not want to break the group’s stride and interrupt such a great story!

Thank you @SleepyWill for organizing and thank you @Scribbs, @RogerBW, @RossM for playing… There could be more Players, but I am only @ post 1423, so sorry if I missed anyone.

Please feel free to use this thread for off topic discussing the Campaign/Thanking the group/general talk outside of the game world and do not forget to hide spoilers!!!

Books primarialy used in this campaign: The Great Pendragon Campaign, King Arhur Pendragon v5.2, Book of the Manor (one player is trying Book of the Estate), Book of Knights and Ladies, Book of the Feast.

Index of Events for the Campaign (In order, but there is a little bleed over):

Part 1 Index

The Beginning: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A hunt in Imber: The Great Pendragon Campaign
First trip to Sarum: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Distribution of Lands: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Squires and first patrol: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Ride to Clatford:The Great Pendragon Campaign
Sir Jory: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Battle of Mercredesburne: The Great Pendragon Campaign
The first winter: The Great Pendragon Campaign
The first Christmas Court: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Cholderton Villa: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Men of the Hood: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Return to the Villa:The Great Pendragon Campaign
Garrison Duty:The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Romans: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Tisbury Circle: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Winter 486: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Christmas Court: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Raiding with Madoc: The Great Pendragon Campaign
(Winter)Journey with Kings Court: The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Kings Errand: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Swinefleet:The Great Pendragon Campaign
Hunted: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A Grand Entrance: The Great Pendragon Campaign
??? ???: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Aid to the Prince: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Winter 487: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Tax Collector: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Christmas Court: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Tournement at Tisbury: The Great Pendragon Campaign
*Dressage: The Great Pendragon Campaign
*Swordfighting:The Great Pendragon Campaign
*Cross Country: The Great Pendragon Campaign
*Joust: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Easter Court 488:The Great Pendragon Campaign
Easter Council: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Selfish Interlude :grin: : The Great Pendragon Campaign
Trouble in Sarum???: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A Primer of Uther Era Law: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Night Patrol- Jagent: The Great Pendragon Campaign
An Old Foe: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A Sad Ride to Camp: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Off to the Marshes: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Fun with boats Part 2: The Great Pendragon Campaign
To the Shallows: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Out of the Water: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Peppa Pig Strikes Again…: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Coriovallo Remains: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A Hunt for Madoc: The Great Pendragon Campaign
The End of Peppa Pig?: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A Surprise on the Hunt: The Great Pendragon Campaign
A New Day/On the Road: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Bayeux: The Great Pendragon Campaign
Surprise!: The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Curse of Legoland Booking…:The Great Pendragon Campaign

Things relating to end part of Part 1:
Map of Northwest “France”:The Great Pendragon Campaign
Helpful Battle stuff:Discuss: SUSD Forum: The Great Pendragon Campaign

Part 2 Index

The Journey Continues: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Christmas Feast 488: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Winter 488:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Spring 489: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Order of the Peppered Pig Meeting Notes 1:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A small Feast:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Hunt at Cholderton: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
It’s a trap!: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Order of the Peppered Pig Meeting Notes 2:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Operation Cornwall: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Scouting it out…:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The March and a Glimmer of Hope: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Order Meeting Notes 2: Part 2:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Night at a Cave: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Saxon Hunting…: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The March Continues: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Tisbury Melee:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Tisbury Melee Champion Crowned:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Winter 489: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Retirement of Blackjack: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Spring 490: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The March North: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Battle of Lindsey: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Knight Captured: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The End of a Legend: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Grave Moment for Uther’s Army:The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Preparation for The Royal Court: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Royal Court Winter 490: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
An Unannounced Guest: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
An Abrupt End: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
End of Christmas Feast-Londinium/Winter 490: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Year 491…: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Other Salisbury Knights: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Ride Through Dorchester: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Battle of the Tiny Bridge in Cornwall: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Hogarth and Leddicus Talk to an Earl: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Reunited: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Moving North to get to Terrabil: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Search for the Frog Knight: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

Romans in Dartmoor Forest: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Greatest Loss of All: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Snared: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Terrabil At Last: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Noise in the Night: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Thief Strikes: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Terrabil Siege Ends: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Message for Uther: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
Spectre in the Night: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
The Return of the Prince: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
An Appology to Sir Owain: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2
A Somber Affair: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

More Fun Adventures
The journey for the best juice:Great Pendragon Campaign Mini Adventures

Important Notes:
Relating to Passions: The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

Newbie! Where to start
The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

Can’t really say anything about the game without first saying a huge thanks to @SleepyWill for running this; I’m having a grand time!

As for other players, we’ve had two others join us. @LucaCherstich towards the end of last year (ca. post 3500), and @Abubu has just jumped in too.

Hey! Thanks so much @UllinBethalto , it’s really making me happy that people who aren’t playing are enjoying the game too.

It’s probably as good a place and time as any to bring up something that’s been on my mind, for a while, but we have a definate divide between how often some players tend to post as opposed to others - and the last thing I want is for one set of players or the other feeling left out or less engaged than they like to be, and it’s a fine balance which I don’t think I always get right.

So, how about the following idea:

We have a second thread, dedicated to side adventures. We keep the main thread as the proper campaign thread, and we keep it ticking along at the lower post numbers per day, and the side adventures is matched to the time scale of the main thread, certainly sticking in the main year, with strict “nothing that happens here affects what happens there” policy - which means it will be low on meaningful rewards, to prevent from overpowering some characters.

Is this something there would be any interest in?

Can you give us an example? Also, Hi!

Sure:

Sir Arnold and Sir Vance, newly knighted are on their first garrison duty. They watch the knights head out to march for Chandlersford. With the excitement of the muster over, those left behind are quiet, subdued, no doubt most of them are wishing that they were to join Prince Madocs expedition.

Sir Elad emerges from the main hall of the keep. “Men, gather round. I need a few volunteers, I’ve just received word that there is a camp nearby, and the woodsmen of Vagon village report that one bears a sword, yet is no knight. I suspect them to be bandits, maybe Men of the Hood, but who-ever they are, they break the law by bearing knightly arms. I will need you to ride out, and bring them in to face justice, or deliver it on the field if the situation calls for it”.

Heh, my posting will definitely slow when I start my new job on the 5th. At the very least I probably won’t be replying within minutes like I’ve currently been. ^ ^;

That said, I’m always down for more roleplay!

I don’t mind whether side adventures happen in the main thread or a secondary one, though it’s probably easier to keep track of if everything stays together.

Ok, a quick follow-up with some fun numbers:
I am currently at 4777 of 5641
In the last 5 days, you have added 426 posts for an average of ~85 posts per day.
If you assume that 3 of 4 are mechanic/dice rolls that means there are about 21 posts per day… quite the prolific group! Also, some of the ideas are genius.

And seriously, someone needs to check and see if the dice roller is fixed!

It is mostly working, it just doesn’t like large numbers of rolls!

[roll 20d20]

Also, Winter phase had a lot of back and forth so they are much shorter posts in general

Some of the streaks of continuous high rolls are pretty alarming :smile: Especially on those passion checks!

It’s funny because in the Pathfinder campaign we’ve had several streaks of very low rolls

I haven’t. My rolls are great!

I’d be interested to know what everyone thought of the section from post 4777 to the conclusion of that bit (spoiler free)

It was weird. I think due to the lack of a real focussed goal for me. I like that it’s also something the party are not speaking of to others.

There was the lack of understanding what we were looking for; I felt that we were going through the motions because of it, both in/out of character. I didn’t mind it, but I think it’s the first time ‘choice’ has felt restricted (until when we had a choice on how it was to end).

To put it in context It was the first time I didn’t know what Hogarth would want to do.

I mean give him Hatred Fae (19) and it would have been a different story. :laughing:

Reading from the outside, it felt as if the hand of God was tilting things in mysterious ways to protect the group :^)

Yeah, that’s what I was kinda driving at. Valens has told Owain all about by the way. Owain will pretend not to know anything about it of course. Should be fun…

I think this group really collectively gets inspired by Morte d’Arthur style of play more than any other, just what I’m picking up - though I’m sure Christmas had a bearing on the pace in the section we are talking about. To that end, I’m going to focus more on the Malory stories and less on the later ones - and it makes perfect sense, thinking about it - how many games set you as an adventurer, exploring strange places - but playing as knights going about the business of being knights, in this game, with the tones of Morte, that’s kind of unique, so yes, expect a more grounded, less ethereal experience going forward - is there any play that you’ve found particularly enjoyable, something you want more of?

Yes and no, I’ll kill a character without too much hesitation, but I won’t if they had no agency to avoid it, and for one reason or another - and forgive me, I don’t really research GMing, so this might be a hashed out topic in discussion forums or whatever - but the players had very little agency during that stretch.

At times when they did have agency, they did much the same as they’ve always done with this type of adventure, which was to engage in as knightly a way as is the style we’ve all created together, and try to back off as much as is feasible. But in that situation, how can you, they had little choice but to press onwards… So, I wasn’t going to “punish” them for that, quite the opposite, when people roleplay - and I don’t care how they roleplay, I always want to reward the player.

Sometimes rewarding them is by testing their characters beyond breaking point, but in this case to me, it meant shoving them through, to get back to the parts of the game where they do feel like they have agency - hence the thing we are all preparing for now, and look how instantly popular and exciting that’s been for everyone, and now with the players having fun, and full agency, the tilt goes away, or changes a little - does any of that make sense?