Home Videos Games Podcastle

Dicebreaker icebreakers

Dicebreaker is a new Gamer Network site for board and table top games with Johnny Chiodini, formerly of Eurogamer, as video chief. They have been using a set of questions to introduce staff members. If you would like to introduce yourself to fellow pears, feel free to answer any or all of the following:

If you and your friends were stuck on a desert island, what three games would you bring?

Favorite type of die?

What is your favorite party game?

What game are you sick to death of playing?

If you were a board game, what kind would you be?

What is the most edible board game component?

Which celebrity would you most like to play an RPG with?

What’s your favorite place to play games?

Tiny games or massive games?

If you died, what game would they play at your funeral?

Weirdest thing one of your RPG characters has ever done?

Name four board game designers

Board games or card games?

What tabletop related item is most effective as an implement of murder?

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?

If you could design one board game, what would it be about?

Bonk, marry, kill: your three games from the first question

2 Likes

If you and your friends were stuck on a desert island, what three games would you bring?
I like variety in games and, since we’re on a desert island, longevity will also be important. So first game would be an LCG with deck construction that we can endlessly tinker with. I prefer the theme in Netrunner to Arkham Horror: The Card Game, but the latter has a variety of scenarios rather than the straight corp vs. runner in the former, and AHTCG is cooperative.

Second would be an RPG so the narrative is only limited by our imaginations, which I admit is a bit of a cheat. The problem is which RPG, since I haven’t played that many and am not wedded to any particular one. Furthermore, I play RPGs for storytelling, not combat. How about Primetime Adventures, a game I’ve only done PBF and we only got through a fraction of an episode before it fell apart. I appreciate the ambition and structure of creating a potentially multi-season TV show centered around the personal drama of an ensemble cast. Though we might hack in some mechanics from other narrative games like Fiasco that may be better at creating interesting scenes.

Third would be a silly game we could use to blow off steam, like Quacks of Quedlinburg. Runner up is Camel Up, but I think Quacks has more longevity.

BGG lists Captain Sonar as a party game, but is it? I feel party games are social games first and foremost, and Captain Sonar feels more like maneuvering within the confines of the game mechanics. I do enjoy Sheriff of Nottingham, but I worry bluffing is a red herring, which obviates a lot of the social interact. So I’ll go with Blood on the Clocktower, which I’ve only played once, but has the most depth out of all the hidden role games I’ve played.

Recently, it’s Codenames. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good game, but it’s just become the default large group game. And coming up with good clues takes too long for both spymasters and their teams. Before, it was Spyfall.

I once took an online quiz of what ballroom dance you’d be, and my result was Foxtrot: elegant, classic, and let’s face it, a little boring. I’m also very mathy and analytical, so I’d probably be a eurogame with lots of number crunching.

This is probably showing my age, but the pastel camels in Through the Desert. Like the little eggs in Windspan, they look like little candies you can pop in your mouth.

Neil Gaiman. I’d like to see what weird and wonderful worlds and characters he would create.

I like to play games in my home or those of friends, sat around the table, baked goods on counter, maybe pets nearby, music playing in the background.

If it’s not fiddly, I do appreciate the scope of massive games.

I’ve not played a lot of RPGs, but the weirdest thing is probably chant in Latin as part of a ritual to seal a shadow monster while keeping my gun trained on a trapdoor and not looking anywhere else lest the monster escape and kill everyone.

Reiner Knizia. When I started board gaming, a lot of the games we played were Knizia classics like Battle Line, Modern Art, Ra, Samurai, and Tigris and Euphrates.

Cole Wehrle popped on my radar because of Root and Pax Pamir. With the announcement of Oath, he is now firmly one of those designers whose games I wish I had designed, someone who takes complicated political or interpersonal conflicts and distills them into something more accessible than traditional wargames.

Speaking of wargames, I appreciate Rachel Simmons engineering new mechanics to achieve elegance and aesthetics in the extremely stodgy wargame genre.

I don’t know what Rob Daviau is up to right now, but the Pandemic Legacy series has given some of my best gaming experiences, so he has my thanks for that.

I feel like this is a false dichotomy.

Probably whacking someone on the head with Gloomhaven.

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?
This used to be the debate between theme vs. mechanics, but I think Ameri-trash mechanics have caught up, so definitely Ameri-trash.

I would like to design a board game that can create an emergent narrative with minimal scripted pieces. Tales of Arabian Nights is randomness relying on players to figure out the narrative. A lot of campaign games and dungeon crawlers are scripted. I’d like a board game where players get a satisfying character-driven story that’s all their own.

Quacks is definitely the sort of game you’d bonk: have a fling, but see you when I see you. Because I’m more of a board gamer than a roleplayer, I’d have to say marry AHLCG (it and Netrunner are lifestyle games, after all) and kill Primetime Adventures, but with a tear in my eye.

1 Like

This would depend on how many friends, but if I had 6, then Twilight Imperium 4th Edition would be my number one answer. After that, likely Race for the Galaxy and either Cosmic Encounter or all my Aeon’s End: War Eternal content.

If I have 5 or less, then it’d be those last three games and no TI:4

Favorite type of die?
I’ve wanted to buy a set of these forever, but can’t ever justify the price: Teflon / PTFE | Artisan Dice

But really, probably a D12.

I classify Codenames as a party game, so that.

Last Night on Earth. It’s my wife’s favorite game, but it just doesn’t do anything for me. I’d say Cards Against Humanity, but I refuse to play it at this point.

Probably something cheap and silly.

Anything from that Jenn Sandercock book? The dice from the first print run of Quantuum. Shame the manufacturer couldn’t quite get them to work and they were all wonky (which isn’t great in a D6), because they looked like tasty little jellies.

Probably none? I’d rather just play with my friends. Does Pip count as a celebrity? She seems really nice, and I’ve enjoyed watching her play RPGs at the past two SHUXes

My house. Boring, I know, but it’s easy, I have space and the food and drinks are cheap.

Mostly tiny, because I don’t have any more room for massive games. But, TI:4 is my favorite game, so if that counts as massive, maybe massive?

Better be something long, like TI4, Diplomacy or maybe that Western Empires game. I want people to suffer.

Umm, it’s a bit NSFW, but I had a dwarf cleric in a very short-lived game a friend was running. He had a 7 INT (because of the alternate creation system my friend used, and my poor, poor roles). He was fairly useless at everything but taking hits, but he did have that cantrip that made anything glow.

So he often made his hammer glow. Or just random things he touched. One time, the party woke up naked after unleashing some sort of interdimensional horror, and he walked up to the, I think elf that had revived them, and made his hammer glow. In the Captian Hammer sense of the word.

Vlaada, Reiner Knizia, Jonathan Ying and uhh, Rob Daviau

I kinda lean toward card games. Love me some deck builders.

A packed-up copy of Gloohaven?

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?
Ameri-trash

No idea. Probably space.

Marry: TI:4, Bonk: Race for the Galaxy, and as much as it pains me, Kill: Cosmic.

Though, I guess I could take the easy way out, not include TI4, and then it’d be Marry: Race, Bonk: Cosmic, Kill: Aeon’s End.

3 Likes

This is a much better answer than what I replied with.

1 Like

This is a troubling question. Does it have to be three base games? Or if I brought Concordia Venus + Salsa, does that count as two? Because it’s more interesting, I will answer as if expansions are “freebies”:

1. Concordia Venus + Salsa + all the maps - Really great gameplay here with a ton of variety from the extra maps. I think eventually, we’d probably end up making our own deck of cards out of palm fronds or something because I imagine if you played a thousand games of Concordia, it would really start to feel stale but it would certainly hold up for the first 100 or so games with the variety I own for the game.

2. Millennium Blades - Likely because I’m still in the honeymoon phase with this one, but I also have a ton of extra stuff packed into the base box here and I think this design, in particular, is capable of emergent gameplay and that’s not something you can say about almost any other modern boardgame

3. 18CZ? - So here’s the thing… the best part of being stuck on a desert island is that outside of fending for yourself (which, in my head, this is totally more of a Gilligan’s Island scenario than it is a Castaway type of thing) you have tons of time on your hands. So I would definitely want to take a game that could offer a great 8+ hour experience to fill the downtime… unfortunately, I’ve never actually played a game that has an 8+ hour experience because… well, I’m too busy being some sort of responsible adult with 2 children and a mortgage. 18CZ is currently my pet project that I’m intent upon getting to the table. Is it the best choice for desert island? Probably not. Is it the best 18xx design for a desert island? Absolutely not, but it’s one I own and I’m still wary of how enjoyable I will find the other 18xx titles that I have in my collection.

TL;DR: You can read the subtext here and realize that my greatest desire in life at the moment is more time to spend gaming

Favorite type of die?
I’ll assume, for the moment, that this is gaming dice and not asking me about tap/die sets or die-cutting. I adore small d6’s I love rolling dozens of them at once (even though as a result, the actual random result is more predictable… correlation?)

Telestrations is probably the leading contender here. It supports a large number of people and it’s just a ton of fun. We have the 12-player pack and we’ve played full 12-player games; I don’t remember what the party was for (could have been a baby shower?) but I do remember being forced to guess “Hover Cat Eats Clocks” because it was honestly my best guess.

Ticket to Ride is my partner’s favorite game. So, clearly I wouldn’t answer with “Ticket to Ride”, right? :shushing_face:

I dunno. I don’t get to play games enough to have a strong opinion here (<cough>). I know that in the past I’d been burned out on a few games but, honestly, I’ll play anything.

Something by Vlaada Chvátil. Tough, opaque in complexity but strangely charming and uniquely strange

I’ve pre-ordered Edible Games Cookbook: Play with Your Food by Jenn Sandercock, so as soon as that arrives, something wrought from within said tome.

Other than that, probably those delicious Starbursts that ship with Azul

I have, likely, unpopular opinions about this. Most celebrities are, generally speaking, outgoing people with Type-A personalities who strive for and thrive in the spotlight… those… aren’t the people I want to play RPGs with. So… Here’s where my lack of knowledge of pop culture comes into play: there’s probably lots of celebrities that aren’t like that… buuuut, who would they be? I dunno.

My partner would answer Nathan Fillion. I suspect that’d be really, really amazing or unbelievably terrible.

My House. Or a close friend’s house. Either is fine but I abhor playing in public places.

For now with two children under the age of two, Tiny. Later in life? Successively larger.

Well I’ve never died before, so I don’t know why I would start?
Fine, legit answer: Beer Pong setup on my casket.

I’m pretty sure at one point I rewrote the laws of physics, but only so that things that were purple weighed nothing.

Vlaada Chvátil
Reiner Knizia
Inka Brand
Stefan Feld

Usually board games. I rarely distinguish though.

Snacks

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?
Eurogame. I feel very disenfranchised living here in the US. But, then again, I feel disenfranchised whenever I think about “American Cheese”

I have a couple of pages of notes about sanitation workers in a major, D&D-esque city. Its working title is: Fantastic Trash

Bonk: Millennium Blades
Marry: Concordia
Kill: 18CZ

2 Likes

Have you read Vattu? The Surin of the Enclave manufacture a purple/blue substance called unweight that floats and is used as a drug.

Have not! Interesting! And, sadly, not technically IP theft…

I almost picked Millennium Blades too. Because I love that game.

1 Like

If you’re like me, and based entirely on you loving Millennium Blades and also picking your partner’s favorite game as the one you’re most tired of, you 100% would pick your partners favorite game as the one you’re the most tired of.

You also mentioned the Jenn Sandercock book for the edible game component question. And that your house is you favorite place to play games. Are we the same person?

No. No we’re not. haha.

1 Like

Well, I agree with your answer too. I would be interested in those same things.

Camel Up, Netrunner, Cosmic Encounter. Shout out to Twilight Imperium for being the game I want to say but having never played it, it would be stupid.

Favorite type of die?
D6. You can do some interesting things with a D4, but you’ve gotta roll with the classic.

Monikers.

Hooo, buddy. I’m sick of so many games now. :upside_down_face:

Likely some eurogame with a huge griefer mechanic.

Of a game I own, likely some of my custom tokens for Netrunner.

M- Matt Lees? Maybe Ellen Page.

An house.

HUGE ONES

Netrunner and TI

I’ve hardly played much to RPG wise, and most of them are just incredibly boring.

Bruno Cavalha(?), Jamie Steigmeir(??),

Card games.

The Beetle from Kemet.

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?
Euro euro euro euro

SPACE. You would be in space, and people would have different information from each other and you could trade goods with each other, and you could bribe people if you wanted and you can make alliances with people and there’s a faction who are all big lions.

Cosmic, Netrunner, Camel Up. This was surprisingly easy.
Cosmic is nice and fun, and excellent to have a bit of a laugh with, but I’d struggle with any commitment with it.
Netrunner has been a huge part of my life for some time now, and I’m a big fan of the places it has taken me. I’ve literally been on holiday with it.
Camel Up is unfair and I make the objectively statistically correct plays and then I lose. :rage:

2 Likes

If there’s ever a time to get it to the table, it’s when you’re trapped on a desert island with people who have nothing better to do, right?

This is also the reason I’d have a hard time committing to it over TI or Race for the Galaxy.

1 Like

I just received my copy of Cosmic Encounter and maybe I should wait filling this in until I’ve played that one because it looks like endless possibilities…

Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of my favorite games initially f.e. Spirit Island, Gloomhaven & Codenames. But those favorites change and depending on how long we’re stuck… more practical solutions are required. So:

• A good deck of plastic playing cards. We could probably make up a lot of games from that beyond those we already know.

• Go: I would finally have the time to grok the mystery, also there’s a reason it has existed for so long. As a bonus: one could probably create it from stuff found on the island.

• Unknown Armies: must bring an rpg and why not one about going crazy? A good rpg happens in your head, so actually: nothing much needed beyond imagination.

What does that teach me? Never leave home without a deck of playing cards again, just in case…

Favorite type of die?

D20 obviously. (I played years and years and years of “Das Schwarze Auge” - the German pendant to D&D)

Codenames.

Settlers of Catan, do not come near me with any Catan descendant. I played this in the late 90s until I couldn’t stand it anymore. I still like Hex-tiles though. Show me any other game with hex tiles and I’ll play.

My answer: A thinky coop strategy game that can be played alone but becomes better with every player you add. I like working together more than competing… I like puzzling out complex things by myself but everthing is better with friends.

The internet’s answer: I searched for “which boardgame are you” quizzes. Did 2 of them. Both came up with: Game of Life. WTF?! Noooo…

Is that a trick question? Obviously the reference pear?

Howard Taylor of Schlock Mercenary. I backed Planet Mercenary and it’s been two years and our only attempt to play it fizzled. Also: Brandon Sanderson. Awesome story teller…

Our dining table. We bought it explicitly to be large enough to play boardgames. Our reference for a large game back then was Arkham Horror. I think we did ok.

I like to explore all the nooks and cranies of a giant box like Gloomhaven - TI intrigues me. I bought Tiny Epic Zombies only to despair at the fiddlyness.

Cockroach Salad because it’s the funniest game I can think of right now (we’ve modified it in our group by introducing new wrong vegetables like Zucchini …)

Since I GMed a lot I do not have that many weird moments of my characters (our fantasy DSA campaign usually didn’t go there). So probably throwing a large plate full of sushi after a fleeing NPC in Feng Shui or using my high heels as weapons? Or playing an anti-schizophrenic Malkavian at a LARP together with my boy-friend?

• Vlaada Chvaatil because Vlaada

• Cole Wehrle because I’ve been reading about Oath and have not yet played any of his games despite really wanting to,

• Uwe Rosenberg because I can’t bring a game of his to the table without someone going “arrrgh noooo!” (I know he’s not all Agricola but that game is probably the one people think of),

• Alexander Pfister because he was answering rules questions for Maracaibo on the BGG Forums during SPIEL in the middle of the night and I haven’t played any of his games but want o

That is an unfair question. If I had to choose I would choose… I can’t. Whenever I want to commit one way or another I think of another game I would miss out on. Board. Board. I like games with boards. And cards. And card games that play like there was a board. So: Boardgames with cards? (among my favorites are Spirit Island & Gloomhaven)

A Gloomhaven box? Or possibly the Valyrian Steel from the GoT game. If you use it properly someone is going to get so angry… you could call that murder. Definitely not the foam guns from Cash’n’Guns

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?

I grew up on Euro, added some Ameri-trash, went back full Euro… but in recent years more exciting games are starting to crop up that can’t quite be categorized so simply. I like theme and intricate mechanics together. F.e. I backed Dwellings of Eldervale on KS precisely because they claim to have elements of both… so Euro-trash?

Pax Transhumanity :smiley: Someone else already did. Now I have to figure out if I could do it better. (Not.) Doesn’t mean the game is perfect… it’s just exactly the theme I would pick.

That is weird. I should have picked different games.

• Gloomhaven (still so shiny and new),

• Spirit Island (I’ve played 30 games and still not bored even though right now I find Gloomhaven more exciting),

• Codenames (whatever?).

4 Likes
  1. I don’t think a pencil and paper, a deck of cards, and polyhedral dice would count for this, but dammit that’s what I’m saying anyway

2. One sided. Otherwise, Game Science have been very lucky for me (until they are not), and I did the saline test and, dang, they are the fairest ones I’ve seen

3. Werewolf (original PnP). Monikers, FLUXX, and (not really a party game) Dixit are close. Also Lava Monster, which we just made up and none of you know how to play. It involves a playground and toy crossbows

4. Crimes Against Humor Cards Against Humanity

5. Area control worker placement geometry roll playing game (only, one of the fun ones)

6. The candy we used to replace the missing piece

7. Patrick f-ing Stewart (or, in my dream world, Brian Blessed. He’s only 83, he ain’t dead yet!)

8. Jeesus, this is a long interview. On the toilet In my living room, it has a big table, access to a fridge, snacks, in a nice neighborhood, and two friendly cats

9. I normally go for medium, or massive that we can pick up every week for a while, but forced to choose RIGHT NOW I’d go for tiny and fun

10. My D&D campaign I designed specifically for the death of a major NPC (this is not a joke, it’s called a Wake, a Wedding, and a Funeral, and designed to go in that order)

11. Jumped on a raft in an underground rapid to try to rejoin his first love: the Sea

12. Mike Selinker, Nicolas “@Gulix” Ronvel (a member, here), Antonio “@TheComicQuest” Monge (a member, here), Mark Corsey (friend of a member, here), and I could keep going

13. Yes

14. The ones that look accidentally delicious, you can get someone to choke on them and it will all be written off as “an accident”

15. I actually have a problem with both of those terms, I’m not being flippant (for once). They are meaningless, as any region can and will create games that could go any way in any direction, so I refuse to answer this

16. A lone leukocyte stem cell, who does their best to fight cancer and invading infectious organisms and foreign inert materials, but it’s still a rookie. But, the other players are with it (yeah, the “lone” thing was for dramatic effect) on a map with areas of probable incursion. Think smashing Pandemic together with Forbidden Island and Operation. "Immune System: Asymptomatic"

17. Those all sound painful no matter which way they went. But, it did say, “If you and your friends,” SO: I would probably bonk and marry my friends, and not worry about the games since they weren’t alive to begin with

7 Likes

Marvel Legendary (tons of variety), Concordia, and I want to say TI, but my wife would definitely want Lords of Waterdeep.

Favorite type of die?

d4. They can be used quite effectively as caltrops.

Codenames

Cards Against Humanity. And we don’t really see the people who owned it anymore, I haven’t played it in years.

Probably something simple and laid back that doesn’t make you think too much.

King of Tokyo energy cubes have always looked delicious. Azul’s tiles are a close second.

Probably Joe Manganiello, as I know he’s a role-player already, and he’s got an awesome gaming room set up for it. Also seems like a really nice guy.

Part of me wants to just say “home” because that’s where most of my gaming takes place, but honestly, SHUX has been my favorite place to play because there’s just so many games to choose from and a lot of great people to play with.

I prefer massive games, as tiny games are a lot easier to get to the table regularly.

I vote for The Bloody Inn.

Ate zombie flesh? A fighter character of mine back in high school had a background where he had been polymorphed into a dragon, but then polymorphed back. However the dragon mentality was still present and would come out occasionally. Usually this was in funny ways, like trying to start the campfire with my fire breath, or flying down from great heights (ring of feather fall to the rescue), but there was a 1 in 6 chance during combats that he’d drop his weapons and fight “tooth and claw” getting a bonus to hit but a negative to his AC. After one such battle against zombies, he was hungry, so…thankfully a paladin was on hand to cure disease.

Just four? And not even our favorite ones? Weird question, so I’ll just go with four who have not yet been mentioned in the thread:
Antoine Bauza
Richard Garfield
Christian Martinez
Corey Konieczka

Both are great, why limit yourself in such a way?

Those d4’s are still effective. But most effective is probably a simple pencil.

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?

I’m all about the Ameri-trash, though Euro’s are fine.

I’ve kicked around the idea for a while now of making a competitive game about a heist, where each player plays a different kind of infiltrator with special abilities. Haven’t really sat down to work out details though.

I don’t swing that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

TI4, cause we’d finally have time to play it. Warrior Knights because I never get to play it otherwise. And probably something strategic that I could become a grand master in… Maybe Stratego? Or Ploy, for something less traditional.

Favorite type of die?
The oft-forgotten D12. It’s the best shape

Probably Fibbage (aka digital Balderdash)

Don’t play enough games for this to really be an issue, but Joking Hazard is one I certainly don’t want to see again. Also 221b Baker St, the “master detective game” is a cardboard abomination that ought to be purged off the earth.

I’d be some Victorian looking PnP game, probably involving bidding and trick-taking mechanics.

Well, the old Battleship pegs are the ones I’ve eaten the most of…

Barack Obama, cuz why not.

In bed! Who would have guessed? And who do I play with? Myself! (Fortress America is my favorite solo game)

Huuuuuge games

Well I’d be dead, so I wouldn’t have much say in the matter. They’d probably break down and start playing L-C-R interminably

My RPG characters are usually pretty dull… I did coat the floor of a tavern in grease once to make someone slide out, and then later I stole a goblet of psychedelic demon blood and ran away.

Christian Petersen (he was a designer, remember?)
Alan R Moon
Reiner Knizia
Friedman Friese (designer of many F-ing games)

Board games with cards, ubviously

The game of Risk; it has been reported that several players were literally bored to death by this game.

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?
Ameri-games

I have designed board games, but if I could design one board game that I couldn’t design, it would probably be a box the size of a car filled with books and maps and cards, and there would be real leather spellbooks with real runes in them, and it would take several years to complete a mission.

Bonk Warrior Knights, marry TI4, and kill Stratego. 1-Spy! You’re dead!

3 Likes

Good one. I should have thought of that, it’s still on my shelves.

Reading about the dragon polymorph, I remembered the probably weirdest episode of my fantasy mage… it was when she got body-swapped with the male axe-swinging viking character… edit: weird but also awesome. Good times were had by all.

I love this thread <3 Thx for making it @jgf1123

1 Like

2 Decks of cards, Advanced Squad Leader (Rulebook and as many of the modules as I am allowed), and a multiplayer game. Torn between Diplomacy, the original AH Civilization, and TI4. Probably would plump for Civ but that might change once I have actually played TI4. I would make a Go set. This would still live me devastated not to be able to bring Cosmic Encounter.

Favorite type of die?

The ones I need for the game I am playing.

Hide the sausage.

Trivial Pursuit

A ridiculously complex over ambitions one.

The flesh of my defeated opponents.

The whole obsession with celebrity thing perplexes me, so this is really difficult. If they were not dead I would choose Carl Sagan or Joe Strummer.

My kitchen. Big table, comfortable chairs, and a really good espresso machine.

I have always loved ridiculously big, complex long games, but recently I have discovered some tiny ones that have really excited me. It’s the ones that lie in the middle that usually disappoint.

Since my family are not really gamers they would probably play Kalooki. The Italian contingent would have a few hands of Scopa as well.

Used a roast leg of lamb as a melee weapon.

Don Greenwood
Allan B. Calhamer
Francis Tresham
Jim Dunnigan

Can’t choose, won’t choose.

A roast leg of lamb.

Ameri-trash or Eurogame?

I find this categorisation meaningless and unhelpful.

A grand strategic consim about the “White War” aka Fronte Alpino, the almost forgotten bitter campaigns of WW1 in the Alps and Dolomites in which my great grandfather served and which left him a broken man.

What a stupid question!

2 Likes

Oh my lord, they’re worse than Lego, and those things are like walking on knives.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate or point me in the direction of where you already did? :smiley:

1 Like