Home Videos Games Podcastle

Cooking/baking with kids

Can I just say that kneading enriched dough with small children is one of the most frustrating things in the world… The finished dough is about half the size it should be! :rofl:

5 Likes

oh. my. god…

I love my kids, I love working with kids on my job, I love doing things, from woodworking to gardening with them.

Never, and I say NEVER; have I enjoyed cooking with toddlers.
Maybe it’s because I’m someone who is still newish on cooking, and baking pastries, but I hate every second of it. Between what is spilled and the hands who keep on grabbing everything to “taste”; from the sugar (fair), to the flour (sure…) to the freaking raw butter or yeast?!? NO amount of screaming or scolding, or calmy taking the time before and after each session to lay out the rules help.
NEVER

1 Like

What is wrong with eating a stick of quality butter? :yum: I am sure I have heard somewhere: 'A stick of Kerrygold a day, keeps the Doctor away"…

3 Likes

I absolutely would not eat anything “cooked” by a toddler - very low food preparation hygiene standards :wink:

2 Likes

I did make them wash their hands several times!!

Usually I quite enjoy baking basic cakes etc but kneading dough is tricky!

You may be safe then!

1 Like

Sure, but even the smallest children are just too dense for the gluten matrix to fully support.

I’ll see myself out.

3 Likes

But maybe if you have a stronger protein flour… or you add a stabilizer? Perhaps it will be able to handle it…

2 Likes

I’m not a little worried that this will get all “Hansel and Gretel,” and literally “Cooking with children” (as ingredients) and we’ll have to shut this whole thing down.

Until that happens, I’m a big fan of Rice Krispies Squares. I mean, come on: melty marshmallow and breakfast cereal. What could possibly go wrong (in your hair and fingers)?

Substitute Krispies with any other crunchy cereal (Golden Grahams, Coca Puffs, corn flakes, Grape Nuts OK maybe not Grape Nuts) and you have a sticky sweet time with treats that have been artificially enhanced with vitamins and minerals.

I do admit, I dislike cooking with young kids, because they don’t have the same hand-washing and cleanliness algorithm that got plugged into my brain when I was working in a professional kitchen. But, hell, you got to start somewhere.

The only thing I’ve ever cooked with my daughter is spaghetti and meatballs.
We enjoyed it.
We’ve also baked Victoria sponge a couple of times, went very well I reckon. Though she insisted on decorating the top with haribo. Kids.

1 Like

That sounds like a really cute tea (the sponge, not the meatballs).

2 Likes

Oh yes, it was great. Even if I do say so myself :wink:
Lovely with a cup of tea ( I know meant the other tea though)

1 Like

I’m never sure if I’m using “tea,” defined as a light meal, correctly. For the majority of my life it just meant “magical leaves that you soak in water.”

1 Like

That’s exactly how I use it too. My family never referred to dinner as ‘tea’ but I know plenty who do. It still confuses me and I live here! Perhaps it’s a north/south thing? Dunno. Any northerners on here call it tea?

2 Likes

This is one of those regional cans of worms isn’t it? Similar to the complete disagreement over what to call a bread roll.

When I was growing up (in Hampshire) my mum (Welsh) would call the evening meal supper or tea fairly interchangeably. We also had “tea tea” which was for if the evening meal consisted of cake, cheese, crackers, fruit etc.

My husband, who is from the west Midlands, insists that all cooked meals are dinner (even when they are lunch), and that supper is a small meal that you have after dinner :woman_shrugging:

Edit: And according to my Scottish friends, “supper” means “with chips”.

2 Likes

I am so confused.

But that’s a normal state of mind for me in any situation, I’ll just walk it off.

The big issue for me, with kids (aside from hand washing), is heat. I’m always terrified that they may burn themselves. I mean, not horribly, but even a little blister would make me feel ashamed and like I’m the worst adult ever. A small splash of boiling water once hit my oldest on the foot when we were making Easter Eggs, and I could barely look at myself in the mirror for the rest of the month. I felt I was The Worst Dad Who Ever Lived.

Sure, my kid got over it in an hour, and I’ve suffered worse in the home and professional kitchens and just shrugged it off. Injury is an important part of a learning curve, and I try my best to teach safety (that lid will be hot. Use potholders or towels. Don’t wipe a hot surface with something wet. Just because it doesn’t look like it’s on fire doesn’t mean it can’t burn you. That’s sharper than it looks. That’s duller than it looks, sharpen it. Etc.)

But I just can’t do it all the time, and I wimp out with ants-on-a-log or pb&j or a taco with just the shell and some cheese (which, honestly, my youngest loves).

2 Likes

I’m confused too @MinuteWalt. I just call everything dinner and be done with it. :grin:

Sorry, I know I am derailing the discussion but last question: what do you call a bread roll then?

Edit: typo

1 Like

Breakfast isn’t dinner @Gungeon!

Dang, you have a point, now I’m curious, too @whistle_pig.

1 Like

Haha! I meant anything consumed in the evening is dinner in my world.

We might have a conversation at work like:
“What are you having for dinner tonight?”
“Me? Probably cheese on toast and crisps. Haven’t been to the shops yet and I need to use the bread. That or cereal as tonnes of milk left.”
“Ah okay, nice.”

No one picks up on the food aspect and points out that that, is in fact, not a dinner per se.

1 Like

Fair enough! I’m about to eat lunch, and don’t ask me to define it. :yum:

I’m still waiting for what the heck a bread roll could be called.

1 Like