Home Videos Games Podcastle

Can I Please Touch Your Bits? (Components)

My favorite game pieces will always be the nuclear mushroom clouds from Supremacy.

The squishy berries in Everdell. They’re squishy!

Available in different colours too, if you had the Neutron Bombs expansion. Man, I was good at that game.

Behold! Feast your orbs upon my Supremacy collection!

Plus I have a 1st ed. AND two bespoke 4’x 3’ printed vinyl game maps that I commissioned from my buddy the printer.

I also have the Mega Supremacy rule book that turns this into a gargantuan weekend game for up to 32 players. That’s ridiculous I know, but I have that option!!! (Just try to imagine me saying the last bit there with crazy eyes whilst waving my arms over my head, and you’d be correct.)

Same thought process - the first player dinosaur from Evolution.

I really love a component with some weight to it. One of the reasons that I instantly fell in love with Hive - even before having played it - was the heavy pieces. They feel really excellent to hold and to place. I similarly love poker chips without really having played much poker - but the chips in Fog of Love sure do it for me :slight_smile:

I’m also a HUGE sucker for miniatures - I love them. Games like Mansions of Madness and Gloomhaven definitely scratch that itch for me because I don’t have the patience or the infinite wealth required to dive in to something like Warhammer.

Have y’all seen the map tiles in Vindication? If you want chunky cardboard, you certainly get it!

AKA the “Incredibly Awesome First Player Marker” (as it’s referred to in the rules).

The alpaca standee in Altiplano is similarly pleasing.

It’s a bit of an oldie but some of my favourite game components are the money chests in Livingstone. Not only are they really chunky but there’s something lovely about dropping your coins into them and never being able to see those coins until the end of the game. Plus I love the rattling noise as players desperately try to remember how many coins they dropped into the box during the game!

Because of the topic titel i can only think about the turn markers of Five Tribes :upside_down_face:

Now for the real cool bits: the tools from Tresure Island.

If you unpack them people already know thei are in for some special treat

One of the best parts of modern games, is that production quality has gone up (almost) across the board.

Some general things that always make me happy:

• Miniatures - I’m a proud mini addict, but won’t buy a game just because of the plastic
  • Nice, non-generic dice - even if I need to roll 5’s and 6’s to succeed, just make them unique!
  • Quality tokens: Wood, plastic, resin, whatever. Almost anything is better than punched cardboard!

Now, some specific games that really stand out for me:

Too Many Bones - Seriously, this game takes “over production” to another level! The dice are beautiful, the chips have a wonderful weight when you’re moving them around, the edge-stitched neoprene mats. Does the game need most of that? No, but I do think it makes it something special on the table.

Stuffed Fables - I’ve discussed my love/hate relationship with this game multiple times on this forum. I stand by all of my statements, including the fact that the game is gorgeous. The minis are beautiful, and evoke the theme in a wonderful way. The adventure book, while no longer unique, is still fantastic. The story, which I normally don’t care about in games, makes me feel like I’m in a Pixar movie. Even the cards are great! I just wish the game play lived up to the production.

Claustrophobia 1643 - This game is a site! The artwork is wonderful (if a little dark on the tiles), the minis are all interesting, and I love the minimalist design on the cards. Especially the use of black and white for the Infernal and Human sides, with splashes of a bright red. This game is fantastic to see, and to play, and may become one of my favorite games.

Mechs vs Minions - Every component in this game is top notch, from the painted mechs, ink washed minions, beutiful map tiles, super thick stock cards and player boards, metal gears…even the rule book is high quality!

Obligatory shout out for the snap fasteners on the bags in Sheriff of Nottingham

I was totally thinking of that earlier and just didn’t get around to posting.

I love the petri dish containers for the Pandemic diseases. Shame they aren’t in the base set.

It did, but it was “What’s your favourite component?” Singular. This is about bits for a whole game, not one component.

I looked it up, too, before I made this topic, just to make sure it was legit for me to start it and wasn’t repetitive. It’s a subtle difference, but an important one. It can be like the difference between a really nice chess board, and really nice chess pieces.

Ahhh, fair point :slight_smile:

In which case…

Well… I have just opened a copy of Wingspan and that’s a strong candidate.

Also Pillars of the Earth! Yes, it’s got a bit of a look of “dry Euro” about it at first, but then you start noticing things: the rich Michael Menzel artwork, the tactility of the master builder mechanic, the wooden cathedral that builds up serving the purpose of round counter and first player marker. Lovely stuff.

Yes! Campaign Trail has punchboard as thick as the tree it came from too. I’m a sucker for thick punchboard. In fact, because they used the same cutting template for all three sheets of punchboard, and only one large circular tile is needed in the game, instead of making the other two blank, they made them into drinks coasters.

I hope the new edition of Castles of Burgundy comes with punchboard as thick as that. That would improve the tactility and the visual usability no end.

The other component I have a lot of love for: standees. I get the appeal of miniatures but because I’m not a painter, they’re only blobs of grey plastic to me. I’d much rather have something with colourful artwork that’s in keeping with the setting of the game, even if it is flat. And it makes the box lighter to carry as well!

We can only hope every game with punchboard makes that quality of the punch-out bits.

Things have gotten a lot better in recent years! It seems like every game comes with the multi-ply semi-laminated fat cardboard tiles. (Yes, I’m old, and I’m comparing this to what we got in the 1980s, flimsy pieces of cardboard that we had to cut out ourselves half of the time).

Once upon a time I acquired a copy of Buck Rodgers which hadn’t had its punchboard punched. Let’s just say it was from a time when they had just started to move from self-cut cardboard and they hadn’t exactly perfected the art of perforating yet. I had to do it in several sessions because my thumb was starting to hurt.