Home Videos Games Podcastle

Brexit

Wales also voted to leave by the way. They aren’t being dragged along for the ride, inasmuch as any Leave voter is in the post referendum reality of Brexit.

I found this information helpful as a person who does not live in the UK. But then again, I am a sucker for charts/graphs/maps!

There’s such complexity as well.

The DUP represent Northern Ireland in parliament, who are in favour of Brexit. However, Northern Ireland voted to remain, but there’s also the issue that Sinn Fein the other (and larger) Northern Irish party don’t actually take their seats in parliament, because they don’t want to be recognised as part of the British government structure.

(And this is me massively oversimplifying)

Looking at those maps @UllinBethalto referenced, is there any relationship to the US term Gerrymandering, as far as setting political borders as opposed to geographic borders in order to influence the appearance of popularity and influence of a democratic vote, as well as to take control of an aspect of governance or civic control?

We’ve had a revival of that here a while back, it’s concentrated some aspects of our governance to have/deprive one “balance” of a branch in a small region over another, despite a disparity of population and political leanings.

I dont think we do. Cinstituencies are marked by an ibdependent commission (which has its own problems - but wont list gerrymandering as one of them)

But constituencies wont factor to the vote since it’s a straight up referendum between Yes or No

This. Electoral commissions are independent bodies who oversee campaign finances and make recommendations on boundary changes. It’s not perfect but we’ve come a long way from rotten boroughs.

(Which I only really know about because of Pitt the even younger)