Home Videos Games Podcastle

Ask a Chef!

I’m by no means an expert, having only made it once, and marginally at that. Consider more fat and maybe putting it in the oven in a covered dish rather than the stove top?
Downside being it’ll take roughly forever to cook, but if you’re making soup, who cares?

My buddy has told me, in reference to mirepoix, “Just stop thinking about it. Medium-low or lower, put a lid on it, and go away and do something else. Watch some TV or something.”

I can’t do that! It totally ruins my stress threshold. (Think of the opposite of the Zen state of Total Peace. Sometimes I need to achieve the state of Total Worry). I think a lot of this is because a lot of my early adult experiences in the kitchen were in a professional kitchen, and now I can’t get over the mentality of “things have to be ready at the same time right now!”

Which size burner do you have it on? Have you tried on a smaller burner?

Most people by default use the big boi (typically the lower, right side on a four top) for delicate dishes which is a mistake. He is great for boiling water, but it sounds like bad news for what you are trying to do.

Also, are your dices close in size? Or are things bigger than others? Have you tried dicing the carrots smaller than the other two items?

My dice is pretty uniform (it took me a long time to learn to chop consistently, but I love my knife and keep it well-honed, now it’s something I don’t even think about anymore), and I use the small burner for small pans and the big one for big pans. I never liked the waste of energy spilling off from a burner that was to big for the pot that was on it.

I think my main problem is lack of patience and love of caramelization.

Jeeze, I think just answered my own question.

Hi @MinuteWalt!

Low-medium heat, a healthy amount of fat medium (canola oil), and use a lid to help trap some of the steam. Stir often. If you are getting browning heat is likely too high.

“The heat is too high” translates into “Justin is too impatient.” (Justin is my real name). This is a chronic problem for me, I would rather sauté than braise, fry rather than bake, grill rather than roast. Sure, I have the patience to brine fowl or a joint of beef, but that’s just because it’s “tomorrow’s problem” and I don’t have to stress about it until actual heat needs to be applied.

Ooooo, why did I not think of this!

Hey chef @thechunkmunk, I wanted to ask you a question about salt (full disclosure, I know the answer to my question, at least for me, I just thought it would be an interesting discussion, and I value your opinion).

How much do different salts really affect the flavor of a dish before cooking, as opposed to a finishing salt?

(I also just saw @superjaz was typing in something, so I’ll wait for her to go first. Sorry jazzy!)

I don’t use mirepoix because @COMaestro is allergic to celery. But that’s so me when it comes to carmelizing onions, over browning them.
Or flat out scorch the life out of them, walking the thin line between delicious and burnt.

I’ve added water to them to cook through faster, then added oil to brown and cook the rest of the way. Not typical, but got the job done.

I didn’t even know someone could be allergic to celery!
But then again, I have a minor banana allergy, which is bonkers. Who the heck is allergic to bananas?!?

(EDIT: I looked it up, celery allergy is crazy dangerous in some cases, so good on’ya for keeping him safe, I like @COMaestro, and I appreciate you doing things not to kill him.

I also found out banana allergy is related to latex, avocados, kiwis, and chestnut allergies. None of which I am allergic to. Just, man, f-you bananas! Why you gotta be so weird?)

Puts immunology hat on

Banana allergies aren’t uncommon! When I worked in the immunohaemotology lab, we had a patient who had a banana allergy, which made crossmatching blood for them a real headache, it wasn’t uncommon to go through 3/4 of the bloodbank before finding a suitable sample!

Takes immunology hat off, it’s a food thread, lets take this back on topic:

Omelettes. Why does what I do bear no relevance to recipe books. I heat up some butter in a frying pan (17cm for 2 or 3 eggs), take the required number of eggs and whisk them until mixed. Then I add some herbs and spices of my choice and pour that into the pan. I let it cook almost through, add my inner ingredients, season, fold and turn up the heat to brown the outside.

However, omelette recipes go on about mixing the stuff in the pan while it’s cooking, but doesn’t that end up like scrambled eggs?

BBC:
Pour in the eggs and cook for a few seconds, until the bottom of the omelette is lightly set. Push the set parts of the omelette into the uncooked centre of the omelette. Cook again, until the omelette has set further, then push those set parts into the centre of the omelette again. Repeat the process until the eggs have just set but the omelette is still soft in the centre.

What the f is that all about???

The other BBC food website:
Pour the eggs into the pan, tilt the pan ever so slightly from one side to another to allow the eggs to swirl and cover the surface of the pan completely. Let the mixture cook for about 20 seconds then scrape a line through the middle with a spatula.
Tilt the pan again to allow it to fill back up with the runny egg. Repeat once or twice more until the egg has just set.

Huh???

Delia:
After this time a bubbly frill will appear round the edge. Now you can tilt the pan to 45 degrees and, using a tablespoon, draw the edges of the omelette into the centre. The liquid egg will flow into the space, filling it.

Now tip the pan the other way and do the same thing. Keep tilting it backwards and forwards, pulling the edges so that the egg can travel into the space left – all this will only take half a minute.

Delia, don’t do this to me, I read the words, but this seems to bear no relevance to what’s going on in my pan. Leiths is pretty much identical to this.

Assorted Others:
drawing in the edges with a spatula so the raw egg runs into the gaps and cooks.
GENTLY PUSH cooked portions from edges toward the center with inverted turner so that uncooked eggs can reach the hot pan surface. CONTINUE cooking, tilting pan and gently moving cooked portions as needed.

So, when I was in Uni, I volunteered for a youth program (which is now defunct due to being de-funded). One of the activities we did was teach the high school aged students how to make “proper omelets”… Or at least what the Egg board considered ‘correct’. (They provided the supplies, so their rules)

They had us tossing in butter and then doing the light scrape to the middle method as you have seen in the cookbooks. The “official” reasoning behind this was to reinforce the middle when doing the half-fold (half-moon shaped) technique to help prevent the fillings from flooding the pan. Also, the idea was it creates a “thicker bodied” omelet.

Now, growing up, omelets were made more like a crepe and really thin when my grandmother made them. This I attribute to the Northern European cultural influences, which may or may not have played a factor in their production…

I guess then, my pan size:number of eggs makes quite thin omlettes then, because i do a third fold twice for a rectangle and not had any problems with fillings - it sounds like im not making them thick enough, possibly because i learnt to make japanese omlettes first

My wife does splendid omelettes, and when I follow her technique mine are pretty good (by my standards obviously). The main trick is a dedicated metal pan, no non-stick as it will come off, which is seasoned with olive oil, then scoured with salt, then same again.

To make an omelette:

• Get the pan very hot
  • Break 2-3 eggs into bowl, add salt, whip with fork until frothy
  • Put a thumb-end of butter into pan. It should hiss and spit and turn brown right away; if it doesn’t, turn up the heat
  • With dark brown smoking butter, pour in the eggs, and without delay use the fork to pull the outside edges to the middle, repeatedly. You have about 20 seconds to expose all the egg to the hot pan.
  • Once it’s the right consistency for the omelette you want to eat, tip it onto a plate, ideally folding it as you do so.
  • Eat the omelette at once.
  • Put the egg-bowl to soak.

If doing this with cheese or whatever, that goes on just before you’re about to tip the thing onto the plate.

True scrambled eggs are done slowly.

True, I should have said ‘bad’ scrambled eggs!

I feel, next time we all make an omelette, we should post pictures of the thing whilst cooked, I would be interested to see what you all are doing compared to what I’m doing… is the aim to have separate ‘flakes’ which all stick together? Mine are like a flat, round continuous, fluffy mass, all one piece, I feel that all this movement just as the egg starts to set has to break it up.

While we’re on the subject. Risotto. Add the stock slowly or all in one go? I ask because I’ve been so perplexed by the theories around this that I’ve made up a double batch, one made the traditional way, stock in slowly, constantly stirred, while the other got the same amount of stock, the exact same treatment, except all the stock in one go. I personally couldn’t tell the difference, I had @biographer blind taste test me, the critical bit for me was the final knob of butter and covering the rice for a minute or two. That’s the bit that made them both a risotto, not the stock ritual, but I wonder if it’s left over from older ways of cooking, with perhaps a less consistent pan and heat source, perhaps this was more necessary? I’m not ruling out that I’m so rubbish at making a proper risotto that this is the reason I can’t tell the difference - it’s not because the one with all the stock in one go and no stirring is as good as proper risotto, it’s that my properly made one is as bad as rice soup.

Mine are definitely one piece, which gets repeatedly folded in from the edges to the centre.

(The intersection of omelette and scrambled egg is what I call “scramlet”, and is effectively a fried egg, broken up before cooking, and cooked at a moderate temperature. If I’m going to mix it in with something else there’s no point going to the fast or slow extremes IMO.)

Right, I managed to convince my son to have omelettes again today, and I did an experiment. Here’s mine, which I did using rogers method above:

And my sons, which I did via my usual method:

So, first things first, mine was undercooked, his was overcooked, but they were both on the heat for the exact same time (about a minute). My method is significantly quicker.

I feel like rogers method, undercooked notwithstanding, created a more unctuous inside, I don’t have any problem with egg snotty bits and it was delicious - my method, overcooking notwithstanding tends to have a softer, lighter texture, but a firmer interior. Firmer is relative, there is still usually a liquid ‘just set’ element to mine, but much less of it.

Interesting, I’ll certainly be practising the other method - as with most things in cooking, each have their place!

I normally just make them Spanish style

For reference, I’d say your following of my description ended up looking pretty much like the way it comes out when I do it. :slight_smile: