Home Videos Games Podcastle

Anyone cravin' some Gloomhaven?

The other thing that annoys me is when people get greedy with looting. Watching a scoundrel looting everything while our slower classes struggle to get enough to afford the items they need is super frustrating. Yes, it’s better that someone gets the coins than if they are left behind, but please spare a thought for your teammates who only pick up incidental coins that they land on when moving forward - maybe you could use your amazing looting to get the less conveniently placed coins instead? :sob:

1 Like

Far from annoying me, it’s my favourite part of the game! The difficulty self-balances with how greedy people are.

2 Likes

My girlfriend, who is playing the Mindthief Skree, calls it roleplaying. :sweat_smile: She gets more loot than our Scoundrel Agatha, who is more interested in sticking her blades into enemies.

1 Like

Still playing this, and find it immensely enjoyable. Just wish we had more time! All three of our characters retired at level 3,4,5 on the same mission - so I now have three figures to paint before we go dungeonering again. Really sad to see my Spellweaver go, and to lose the whole party on the same mission means next time will be a mystery for all of us.

2 Likes

Came back to this after a couple of months off. We’re super inconsistent with our games (2 player) but both our characters are almost level 4 and should probably start doing their personal quests to shift towards retirement.

I’d actually been avoiding the quest lines out of worry they’d retire too early but to be honest that’s probably a misguided assumption based around my video game RPG desire TO DO EVERYTHING. It’s not like the general scenarios disappear once you switch characters so really I should just crack on with it.

We played yesterday night, so today I finally decided to apply a base coat and wash to the characters to make them pop a bit more, then took this photo.

9 Likes

Finally got back into it this evening after a three month hiatus. Finished the last scenario of the community campaign, and next week we’re onto the expansion material. It’s really good to be back into it.

1 Like

I was holding “Forgotten Circles” in my hands today and was almost going to the register when my rational brain kicked in and reminded me that I haven’t even played Gloomhaven yet, what the hell are you doing.

2 Likes

The hype train is real. I’ve been there.

If it makes you feel any better, we’re one scenario in and it’s really hard. I think we weren’t supposed to make new level 1 characters for this.

2 Likes

That picture looks amazing!

We are playing Gloomhaven again next month, I am excited :smiley:

2 Likes

:star_struck: what a great photo!!

We’ve recently jumped back into it after a few months off too. We did the exact same thing and thought we were too close to the end, oh how wrong we were!

My husband is on character no. 3 and I am clinging desperately to my Cragheart refusing to let him complete his personal quest because I get attached. He’s level 8, I’m running out of excuses >.<

4 Likes

I declare to the divine patheon that before the end of summer, I will finally play a game Gloomhaven from my kickstarted set!

4 Likes

I am curious if or when we will play the expansion I bought… :thinking:

Well, motivated by all the positive responses I decided last night was the night and I would finally play Gloomhaven. Below is a brief timeline of events:
21:20 - I get back from the pool after swimming some laps. I start setup.
23:15 - I finish setup. Oh crap look at the time. I begin put everything away. Better luck next time!
In all fairness 2/3rds of the time I was reading the instructions so I understood what was happening (well, at least trying to). I didn’t even get to the part about doing the City or Road cards and I just went with the suggested inventory for the 2 characters I randomly picked to start with from the initial 6.
Anyhow on the positive my step-daughter was watching me setup and she was getting interested in playing so going forward I might have found a partner to play with.

3 Likes

I highly recommend an insert (can vouch for the Broken Token one, but most insert companies have one), or at least a ghetto homemade version with Plano boxes and folders. It’s still a beast of a game to set up even then, but it helps a lot.

I use some tackle boxes to organize the terrain and markers. The standees and decks for each monster are in separate baggies. I can setup a scenario within a handful of minutes.

2 Likes

I went for a similar solution. A plastic tray with seperate little compartments for all the monsters and terrain. I keep the map tiles in a cardboard box.

It’s one of the first things I bought as the idea of rooting around for things endlessly every time I set the game up seemed like a total waste. Cost me about £10.

2 Likes

I like the idea of getting the BT insert but seeing as I still haven’t played a proper game yet, spending more $$$ should be put off for now. I think I’m going to go the plastic tray / tackle box route for now (like literally, AMAZON PRIME HOOOOOO) and give that a whirl.

3 Likes

So last night was the great plano adventure which resulted in:
2 x plano 3601 for monsters
1 x plano 3601 for tile related items (obstacles, treasure chests, etc)
1 x plano 3600 for tokens.
Checking BBG it looks like I could fit in the monster cards in with one of the monster boxes if I got less specific / more aggressive with reducing sprawl. Currently 3 of the planos will fit in the box with the remainder plus game boards having to live outside, meaning that I’ve gone 2 steps forward with efficiency but one step back with storing.

That’s the constant trade off. My group can set a scenario up in about twenty minutes now. Downside is that it takes up about three times as much space.

I really want to get a set of slightly oversized CD envelopes and store the monster cards, stat sheet and stands all in the same place. Currently I’ve got the cards and stats in one place and the standiees in another.

I like the tackle box thing, especially if you can get one with dividers that you can pop out and into notches on the sides and floors of the individual levels. Craft stores also carry things that are basically the same as tackle boxes, not as sturdily made, but often more boxy and easier to store, also with modular compartment designs.

I’m sorry, this isn’t Gloomhaven specific, I just smelled people talking about cheap storage and organization, and my ears perked up, metaphorically.

2 Likes