Home Videos Games Podcastle

Anyone cravin' some Gloomhaven?

So, a Rules question has come up and I wanted to get your take on it (and I forgot to add @Tika to my WhatsApp… :wink:
The Craigheart has a lot of actions to manipulate obstacles, does a trap count as an obstacle in that regard?

They are not! Obstacles are specifically those hexes with the green (?) border in the scenario map. (See rulebook page with all the hex tile types for the color)

I do have WhatsApp or Line if you do want to message me. :laughing: PM me if so.

Thanks @Tika!
That makes using the cool obstacle actions a bit harder and just elevated the action that lets you make two obstacles into indispensable status.

We’ve only played again today, and I realized that the simplicity of the monster rules sometimes is detrimental to the thematical immersion, as much as it’s helpful for the heroes.

We’re in scenario 10, plane of the elemental power, and the poor flame demon standing behind the traps has no alternative to moving towards the heroes, thus triggering the trap directly before him and dying instantly.?
Also, I think it would make sense for flame demons to be immune to fire damage/walking over glowing coals.

But I’m not really complaining since these inconsistencies definitely make our lives a lot easier sometimes.

The spoiler in question has flying I believe, so is unaffected by traps, and ground environment.

I recently tried the Cragheart solo scenario with an under-equipped no-enhancements level 5 Cragheart, and failed 3 times. I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong, but the odds are so heavily stacked against me that I can’t quite get the necessary damage output and longevity. Maybe try again when I’m level 6.

Shit, you’re right! No wonder it all fept too easy!
I was actually considering this possibility but failed to notice the flying symbol when looking it up. Thanks!

Combined with their Shield 3 that makes them super hard to kill!

Playing the solo scenarios on “even” levels makes a difference!

This happens to us all the freaking time. We’ll often get half way through a map and someone will point out “oh, don’t they have flying? Oops…”

The other common one is ranged attacks. Turns out one of the monsters Oozes. (I hate oozes with a fiery passion only known by those who’ve had to do all the admin involved when they spawn three times in a row.) has a ranged attack. We managed to get through an entire mission and loose by a minus 1 card before we realized they had a ranged attack.

That’s pretty much the best thing that can happen in many scenarios. Waiting them out is often your only viable option! 4 x summon and they are gone. Just pray they don’t heal too often…

Spoilery bits

The first time we encountered them, they spawned faster than we could kill them off. Mostly due to poor party composition on our part but still. It was on a map where we were guaranteed to get all 10 on the map at once,.

We’d get some of them down to low health, then they’d spawn. So ooze 1 would die, ooze 2 would spawn ooze 1 again, ooze 3 would die, ooze 4 would… blah blah blah tears.

At least when they weren’t ranged only one or two of them would hit us at a time.

It’s only monster ability descriptions, but still.

Um, did you notice that the new ooze spawns at the health of the old ooze after it has taken 2 damage? What you describe doesn’t seem to make sense. Oh, unless you were focusing down one ooze at a time. That would do it. Given the amount of damage they do at range, most of successful ooze encounters have been either lightning-fast takedowns, or running away until they die off. After one spawn, 10 on the map is pretty much guaranteed. Of course, the first time we saw the self-heal card, we were all wtf?! but they are almost guaranteed to die out (2 spawn reshuffles vs. 1 heal no reshuffle).

Humm… Either we missed that (which would not surprise me) or the scenario in question had a spawn more oozes mechanic. Ether way it has been a while now, and my memory is a bit hazy.

I just remember a lot more admin than normal between turns, and then playing the scenario again. It took a while.

Hardest scenario I’ve played in the entire game. Really needs some luck in terms of the cards the main enemy draws.

We’re now level 3, 2, and 2, so we’re playing scenarios at level 2 now. This week was #14 Frozen Grotto. I saw the initial setup and placed myself to tank a couple elite Hounds on the first turn. So of course they drew high, and I spent most of time between rooms healing as best I could. We were having a hard time dealing with this mix of monsters: the Hounds and Frost Demons had high retaliation, and the Living Spirits had high shields. Mindthief Skree exhausted herself at the end of the room 2 and, by the time we got to the door to room 3, my Cragheart Detritus only had a couple turns left his deck. So I gave up my battle goal of only taking long rests and just tried to deal as much damage as I could (my Massive Boulder was our only reliable way to get through shields) to give Scoundrel Agatha the best shot of finishing the mission. Agatha barely scrapped through a win, getting a clutch critical hit on the elite Frost Demon and using poison to help break through a Living Spirit’s shield.

Then I read in the rules that we’ve been playing with too many potions, which explains why the past few scenarios have been easy. I don’t think we would have won this one if we had the correct number of potions…

Oh, you didn’t halve the level for the carrying limit?

Yep, for some reason I originally read it as have as many small items as you want, so we’ve had level 1 or 2 characters going into scenarios with 3 potions.

I’ve been itching to finally open and unpack Gloomhaven after a year plus. I don’t think I can convince anyone to play with me on the reg so looks like it’ll be a solo play through.
I’m armed with a ton of zip lock bags but does anyone have/know of a decent shopping list of what I should get before hand to storing the millions of tokens and assorted fiddly bits?

I’ve done pretty well with just bondage tape and plastic baggies. Some people use Plano boxes for the little tokens.

I highly recommend printed paper tuckboxes for all the monster stuff. I made one box per ability deck, sized to just barely fit the stat card(s) tokens and deck. That way, I have all the monster stuff for one deck stored together, with the name(s) of the corresponding monsters visible from above for easy selection - like a line of CD cases.

Of course, if you are only playing solo, there are various helper apps out there which massively cut down on table footprint and setup/breakdown/shuffling, so you might not need any monster stuff beyond the standees. I use one when playing solo. I’ve played 35 games with friends, and only 3 abortive attempts at one solo scenario, so I needed good storage.

Small plastic boxes, each compartment having rounded bottoms, marketed for bead/jewellery storage, are good for easy token access while playing.

I should really do a time analysis of how long each step of the setup takes and use that to figure out where we can save the most time. My best guess is I spend a lot of time on: (1) picking through the terrain baggies for the right bag then picking through the bag to find the right one; (2) going through the various cards to see if that deck should be taken out or left in the box; (3) going through the monster baggies to find the monsters we need for today’s scenario.