Home Videos Games Podcastle

Anyone cravin' some Gloomhaven?

I think it depends on the character. With my Scoundrel, I avoided rolling cards until I had no choice so that I could absolutely guarantee the big damage super attack would land (using the goggles). With my current character, I’m less reliant on one huge attack, and have more consistent damage, so I’m fine with the rolling cards as the miss card is less punishing

I just think the two stack method we accidentally houseruled makes more sense and plays better. But it’s a minor flaw, really.

Hmm I happened to stop using the big damage attack fairly early on, so that’s why it didn’t matter to me.

Ahh, I remember the endless BGG threads after the first printing came out about rolling modifiers and advantage. Since I started with Cragheart the whole problem seemed like a lot of Scoundrel hubris. “What do you mean we can’t move all the spaces, get all the loot, and kill ALL the things with 100% certainty. $:+%%** this game is +$$)"”)(/> . "
Ol’ Gneiss Guy loved him some rolling modifiers and found more use out of other head-slot items than he did out of the goggles.

Heh, those were crazy times. Luckily no one else in my group picked Scoundrel either. Guess that’s a long winded way of saying we never had a problem with the rolling-mod RAW, but I certainly understandwthe complaints against them.

Scoundrel is a lot of fun and excellent at spike damage, definitely worth trying at least once if you’re that way inclined. She does rely on the team setting things up for maximum effect though, so could be frustrating in the wrong mix

For her melee attacks, she needs a summon or a tank so that you have someone next to the target, but because I play mainly with a Spellweaver and Tinkerer or Mindthief, I switched over to doing mainly ranged attacks.

We intentionally play the rules for Summons “wrong” (we control them, rather than having them behave according to the mindless automaton rules… and we allow them to pick up coins, but not chests, for their controller… correspondingly, our Tinkerer’s ‘Decoy’ construct has been lovingly nicknamed “Roomba”).

Our Cragheart does the most damage, though. Multiple targets with high-damage AoEs is broken as hell, yo. He did 20 damage in a single activation to a particular black altar the other day (thanks to some lucky positioning, granted, but still!). My Spellweaver is more “Run up front, get hit twice while flinging fireballs, run to the back of the team until Darkness heals her, repeat”, and our Scoundrel is spot-removal of particularly tough enemies. Lastly, our Tinkerer is mostly healing, but her Crank Bow… holy hells, that with the Armour Piercing bow and Eagle Goggles? Yeah, it’s pretty amazing.

In conclusion: our team is basically amazing. I call them the Revengers. I’m in it for revenge… are you in it for revenge? You could be in it for revenge. See? Name fits.

Letting players control their own summons is going to be potentially problematic in the future. Not going to say anything else!

Retired my Mindthief last week. Loved that character and the game in general, so excitedly got to my new class - the one that comes in two different mini boxes and…

It’s like a different game. Not in a good way either. Bear goes off and does whatever he wants, and much of the time you are using the card to buff his attack and sacrificing an action to do so. So your turn becomes predicting what the bear will do and then choosing one other thing. Generally just hitting stuff with the bear again.I mean it’s a strong class, just a bit dull. The Mindthief had so many options, like a giant toolbox. This one has one thing. Could have built it differently I guess and focused less on the bear, but that means using even more summons which I just don’t find fun.

Decided to bench him and start a Cragheart instead as no-one has played that yet and obstacle manipulation seems equally weird as the Mindtheif’s shenanigans.

I am having a lot of trouble earning experience as the Cragheart. It seems like most of the good experience cards are the trash 'em variety, and I find myself wanting to delay using them so I can hang around and help my team. Any tips, other than “get over it and trash the cards”?

Some of the classes are just better at getting XP than others, e.g. the Spellweaver. I would just embrace it as part of the character design. :slight_smile:

Are you not using the loss cards at all? I was similar with the Mindthief - he puts out consistent damage without having to lose cards, then in the final room I would just pop everything to destroy whatever was left.

If you’re finishing up scenarios with the loss cards still in your hand then you probably need to up the difficulty. We noticed this early on. Some classes spike early, some are good later. If you play on too easy a difficulty, the classes that spike early rush ahead as the ones more valuable later on don’t get a chance to do their thing.

If it’s just that you’re losing the loss cards to resting and still ending the scenario with most cards in your lost pile then I’m not sure what to advise.

You have my curiosity piqued, but I will wait patiently to see what that cryptic statement is all about. I gotta say though, I avoid using summons because so far they’ve just been a liability and a waste of time and a thematic head-spinner. Our first 2 characters (the wife and I play as a duo exclusively) were a Brute and a Tinkerer that worked pretty well together, but the Tinkerer’s summon kept getting in our way and blocking some of the more crowded doorways with its antics. We retired and moved the Mindthief and Cragheart and I gave the Mindtheif’s ratso’s a try and found them ploddingly slow and poorly managed by the AI. They always wandered towards things at a glacial pace, watched as we killed those things, then turned around and wandered slowly towards other things. Had we controlled the rats as the Mindthief is so thematically implied to be doing, I would have positioned the rats more advantageously near the rooms I knew we were going to be looping back to rather than watching them try to keep up and fail as we ran about.

@Tika is correct in saying the field isn’t level in the XP department so I won’t go there. What I will say is that it pays to review your cards and plays carefully and see if maybe you’ve been missing any XP. I know in our first 5 or 6 games, my wife and I didn’t notice that all of the cards with limited use timers on them also trigger XP at certain points.

My example was that my Brute used a damage prevention card that blocked the next 3 sources of damage completely. That card had 3 spaces to note the limited uses and what I failed to notice is that several of those spaces had a lighter than usual XP symbol on them. We guess that by the time he retired at level 5 he had lost out on somewhere in the realm of 30-40 XP from those sorts of things.

The Cragheart has timer cards as well so it seems like an area I thought I’d point out as one that’s easily overlooked.

Those two timer cards are where I usually get most of my XP. I will see about trying to use my trash cards as we approach the end of the scenario, or use them a bit more often.

I was really hoping you’d have made the same bonehead oversight as me so I could commiserate about being a bonehead, instead of boneheading it solo.

I’m sure you’re a rock star rock monster person!

The real secret, I think, is whenever you play a big attack, you have to shout:

clobberin-time

That’s not a problem with the summon rules, that’s a problem with how you use summons. Our mindthief’s rats have been invaluable, as we lack any tough characters. The mindthief enters a new room, summons rats, and they can soak 6+ damage for us. Or we identify a tough-to-kill monster, summon rats in front of it, and then focus on something else for a couple of turns. Very very useful, just don’t expect them to follow you through the scenario.

Oh this was my second favourite character! I really enjoyed the different challenge and you can deal a truck load of damage when you get it up and running. My only issues were that it gains gold very slowly and I couldn’t kick down doors.

Buuut I do like programming games (I’m a programmer, go figure :stuck_out_tongue:) and I liked having to figure out a plan and contingency plan based on what was likely to happen before I got to act. It was like solving a little puzzle every round :slight_smile:

That’s where I felt like the summon rules limited me though. I’d agree that in varying circumstances the summon could have been more useful had we been able or willing to use it differently. However, there have been more than a few instances where a room was cleared rather quickly and the summoned rats just wandered after some distant monster because it was the only thing on the board, but we could have better used it to move towards a closed room because we knew we’d be opening it in a few more turns and by then the summons could’ve made it that way had we been able to position them ourselves. I’m just not sure I’m a big fan of elements of my character being AI controlled since it takes some of the game choices that could be very interesting out of my hands.