Home Videos Games Podcastle

Any love for Foamcore?

With one of these.
57138-1001-1-2ww-m

First I cut holes slightly too big in the foamcore, then I cut holes slightly too small in a sheet of flexible foam, then stuck them together. I think I made the latter a bit too small, getting the ships in and out is a bit of a pain, but right now you could pick that section up and turn it completely upside down without any of the ships falling out.

Tip: If you get one of those compass cutters, make sure you practice first. It took me a few goes before I could reliably stop the point in the centre of the circle from slipping.

Oh yeah and I stopped being a cheapskate and splashed out on some black foamcore this time :laughing:

Uughhh loving these pics. I kickstarted the devastation of Indines and the sheer volume of stuff in the box and my inability to organize it properly has made it very verrrry impossible to teach to people. I am inspired by all this creativity to see what I can do!

A smaller foamcore project this time.

Opera, a game with a theme very dear to my heart but which I still haven’t managed to play, was next on my list for foam core shenanigans.

Part of the reason I haven’t got it to the take is that the rules are fairly opaque, and part of that lies in the fact that the set-up of the buildings is quite fiddly and it’s very easy to make a mistake. So I made a few little trays to fit into the existing (already very useful) dividers.

IMG_20180128_010400IMG_20180128_010451

This one’s made out of foam core (white) and foam sheet (the other colours). Little bit fiddly to get in and out but pleased overall.

Work in progress for Forbidden Stars. Just need to finish the top layer for the dice and neutral buildings. The board sections will sit in one corner with the remainder of the components around them.20180207_19431920180207_19434720180207_194404

Top layer done.
20180208_161847

Inspire by the quality of work from y’all. Now I need to do it myself.

A while back I made a card holder for Bunny Kingdom. 180 sleeved cards tend to fall over at the slightest disturbance.

“Foamcore” doesn’t seem to exist over here. I’ve used foam to make an insert for Mage Knight BG, and that worked quite well. I assume there is some additional benefit to the paper layers of foamcore though - like smoother surfaces and better abrasion resistance.

Current draft for my Mysterium storage to fit the base game and both expansions.

I’ve been able to find it at Daiso. Can’t remember what it was labeled as. It was 100 yen for an A2 size sheet of whatever colors they had.

Right, I bought mine at Daiso too, but it was foam, not foamcore.

I saw the foam too. I could have sworn my local hardware store had foamcore, but it was just the foam. It was one of those things I knew I had seen but I couldn’t remember where.

I finally found it in one Daiso out of four around here. It was stocked next to the foam board and thick plastic sheets(those worked great as a base for the Brass Birmingham insert I made)
Daiso calls it カラーボード.
That also seems to be the name you can use to find it on Rakuten. If I was at the office I’d check our supply catalogue to see if there is a more proper name for plain white foamcore, but it’s obon here so I apologize, but that is not happening any time soon.
I do have a picture of the Daiso label though.

Also, it seems they sell A3 size. Not A2.

Thanks for the tip! 1/4 would explain it - I don’t seem to have any huge, well-stocked Daiso around me. Definitely the kind of thing it’s only worth buying from 100 yen stores.

The glue has finally finished drying on my Brass: Birmingham foamcore insert.
It came out all-right. Although the glue is really visible due to having to a rush to get it assembled and set to dry in an out of the way place before family came over.

I used 5mm thick foamcore walls with a 1mm thick plastick sheet as the base.

I experimented with different joining techniques and think I’ve found that I like simple highly simplifed finger joints for external corners. They are pretty easy to cut and make final assembly and gluing much easier than butt joints.

The components for each player are all seperated by type of tile, they can be put away in order so the next set-up is mostly pain free.
I kept the rail/canal tokens in bags due to forgetting to cut the walls of their container high enough to contain them when the box is placed sideways on the shelf.

The components are held securely in the appropriate slots by the stacking the inserts on top of each other. The player boards keep the uppermost components from falling out. The box fits firmly closed and everything stays together to pass the vertical test. Hooray!

I also stained and painted the beer barrels.

Wow. That looks amazing.

Thanks!

You’ve just reminded me, there’s an update to this project. The ships were quite fiddly to get in and out of their homes, so I divided up the tray by ship type.

There’s method to the madness in how the bits are divided up - small ships on the outside, large ones in the middle, so they were arranged in a spiral starting with the ice comets, the NPCs, then the Level 1s, 2s and 3s. The ones that were too tall went in their own section.

I took a look through the supply catalogue and asked some co-workers.

The catalogue had foamcore, advertised with an explanation and close up, for 〜¥1,400 per B1 size 5mm thick sheet. They had a variety of colors all with a white core. It was listed as ニューカラーボード.

A co-worker also pointed me to another product, スチレンボード. I could only find it sold in white and was 〜¥2500 for a 10 pack of 400mm x 550mm. You could choose your thickness, anywhere from 2mm to 5mm.
But he warned me that sometimes it is foamcore, and sometimes it is just foam. You really have to read the product description and even then different sellers will sometimes ship different product. He said he has seen the same kinds of products advertised as スチレンペーパー as well as other variations on スチレン〜. All with the same caveat, sometimes it’s paper coated foam and sometimes just foam.

However, the biggest caveat is that no matter who was selling either version, or what they were calling it, DAISO is the cheapest by far.

Hope you can find something near you.

It seems like this is a common thread in the community. I have not played with foam core myself, but find myself designing better components. For example I just recently wrapped up my design and 3D print of some terraforming mars player trays here: https://imgur.com/gallery/V2PNEt9
Does anyone feel like this might be more popular as a trend within the hobby games field? The love of our games being so great that we act on the idea of self improving them?

At the moment, consumer 3d printing of bits is probably too expensive for most people unless they have their own machine, which is pricey in itself. But foamcore is more accessible - you basically need a good knife, glue, metal ruler, and cutting surface, and most people who are buying boardgames can manage that. (Plus a fair bit of time, of course.)

Added to that, another advantage that foamcore has over 3D printing is being able to make it up as you go along, around the actual components. I would imagine that it’s a lot harder to improvise or play around with different ideas when you have to design it all on a computer first.