Home Videos Games Podcastle

Any interest in a Call of Cthulhu (7th edition) game?

Does anyone fancy some tentacles with their RPGs?
I’m toying with trying out some of the beginner party CoC adventures for my local games store and wondered if there was any interest in me running one here?

Yes please! I’d be up for a one shot if you want to do things you can use with your RL group.

Yeah, that would be great. I don’t want to commit anyone to anything but if it happens and is successful I’ll happily develop a campaign. I think a couple of training wheels ‘sessions’ would help everyone work out if it’s for them (including me!)

I’m tempted… I’m already involved in two forum RPGs at the moment, and there’s another couple on hiatus. Three games is just about manageable before characters and settings begin to bleed together.

Maybe mark me as a reserve? If you are struggling for numbers, I’ll happily join. Otherwise I will read the slow descent into madness from the sidelines.

Haven’t played CoC in years. How different is the new edition from older ones? In any case, I am interested.

Good question. I haven’t got vast experience with the older versions. I’ve played some 5th/6th. My experience has been that while 7th was the first big revision in a while, overall they cut more than they added and general character/party/keeper (gm) admin is much easier. They’ve definitely taken a good look at DND 5e to plunder some spoils - advantage/disadvantage is in, skill checks have been modified, and there are more character background options.

The dreaded Opposition Table or whatever it was has been replaced with calculated roll requirements set by the Keeper based on how hard a particular challenge is, in context. As opposed to ‘you are trying to wrench open a rusted trapdoor -ruffle through Table- is that a door or an impediment?’ Etc etc.

Oh and in extra fun, if you fail a roll at a crucial point you can push your luck and re-roll - but if you fail again, even more tentacles for you!

I’m sure there must be a Reddit or BGG thread that covers it in more detail but those are the things that stand out to me.

As with many of our other RPGs here, I am fascinated, but would be a spectator. I’m already watching a bunch of PBFs here and participating in only one (unless you include De Profundis).

I would strongly support some people rallying up to join together for what is obviously a dreadful decision. Yay, team! (against the elder gods. I’m sure you’ll be fine)

(Edit: I forgot about Poorly described plots. I may be playing more games here than I can remember).

@lovvbar was looking for some rp stuff as well perhaps?

I would LOVE TO PLAY THIS.
I’ve been wanting to for ages - just direct me to the books I need and I’m in :slight_smile:

Okay fronds,

I propose we play the Quick Start scenario for beginners and then no-one has to buy anything upfront (I can distribute player sheets and Investigator notes as pdfs), and then if we don’t have a terrible time we can try some more longer scenarios after that :slight_smile:

Don’t go looking for the Quick Start scenario yourselves, as then you’ll read all the forbidden ancient law and just go mad before you’ve even begun :wink: .

I’ll post the sheets and details for character creation here, the dice you need ( or apps to recreate rolls whatever), and then once everyone’s in, I’ll make a new thread and introduce the scenario.

For those new to the forums, you might not be aware that there is a dice roller here.

To use, type the command < Roll xdy > with the < > replaced by [ ].
Set x and y to whatever you require.

It will change your post to an System Admin post, and you will not be able to edit the post.

For example:
d100: 5
3d6: 4 + 2 + 4 = 10
d20: 17

Oh, cool. Very useful, thanks! I’d seen some in other PBF threads but I didn’t know how it works.

System Pear, you rolled SO BADLY ON d100 you have been immediately consumed by an acolyte of the Cult of Cthulhu.

But being a pear, you have not ripened, and so he breaks a tooth.

It works pretty well after a little trial and error. I always try to add a line of text above the roll to state what it relates to as the poster identity gets replaced by System.

However you can always click on the the orange edit pencil in the top right of the System posts to see who made the original roll.

Since we asked for the dice roller and the admins provided it, the forum software has grown its own, which works slightly differently:

@discobot roll 1d100

:game_die: 3

Wow, discobot. You are not looking so hot there. Tentacles envelop you and you must make an extreme roll against your constitution.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Coooooooool.

This is very exciting.