Home Videos Games Podcastle

A short video explaining Vancouver transit

Basic info about the Skytrain lines, Compass cards, and getting around the $5 airport fee if you’re going to be relying on transit during your stay. Just felt it’s be useful info.

6 Likes

This seems like a very good thing for anyone coming in from out of town!

Unsure if it’s mentioned in the video, but if you’re planning to go around the city by transit a bunch and are only in town over the weekend, the day passes are often pretty good value, rather than paying the individual fare.

2 Likes

They do! Also, if you’re flying in, you might as well get a day pass, since the airport extra cost basically pays for it anyway.

I disagree with the video on one very minor point: I prefer Transit to Google Maps for taking transit. Mostly because it can alert you when your stop is coming up, which I find especially helpful on unfamiliar bus routes.

I don’t live in Vancouver, but I do live somewhere Transit supports, so I use it regularly. And I have used it in Vancouver, and can report that it works fine there.

5 Likes

I agree! I also use m.translink.ca if I want to see where my bus is in real-time while I’m waiting for it.

Transit is a fantastic app. I live here and use it daily. Live bus tracking and up to date bus times, with better than Google Maps route finding; hard to beat that!

I agree! I also use m.translink.ca if I want to see where my bus is in real-time while I’m waiting for it.

I’m 99% sure Transit pulls from that so you could just use the app and avoid Translink’s not to great website :wink:

1 Like

It was such a welcome surprise arriving in Vancouver last year and finding a metro transit system with trains that arrive every few minutes.

I use TransLink’s website for times (Google pushes info otherwise) because if the system GPS is down, it’s down for everyone, and I’m already where I need to be for general schedules. That’s said, I do use several different stops, so having the ability to punch in a particular location from memory is a definite advantage there.