Home Videos Games Podcastle

A Game of Thrones: Play By Forum Game 01 - Foes and False Friends

My lords, I must write swiftly as I feel the constraints of other matters weighing heavily upon my time. I believe that I see you all sizing each other up for this inevitable war, perhaps this moon’s turn will be the time to strike? Gather your men, collect your taxes but I fear the rains and bandits shall soon be upon your taxmen and it would be unsafe to send them out any further.

Raven: Corn?

What’s this? A raven? From the Knight’s Watch! They say they are under attack by a mighty host! My Lords if this letter is to believed you must put your personal differences aside, and combine your power to send off this new foe which assaults the gates of The Wall!

Round 4 - Westeros Phase

Westeros I

Mustering Muster new units in Strongholds and Castles

Westeros II

Game of Thrones Each player collects one Power token for each power icon printed on areas he controls

Westeros III

Feast for Crows * Consolidate Power Orders cannot be played during this Planning Phase.

You almost avoided a wilding attack, but the final deck gave you that one wilding symbol, which was all they needed to reach a strength of 12 and assault the wall.

Map - http://tinyurl.com/dZeg0K4vMVoamRxNBTCo
Picture map hopefully coming soon, I’m just not at my PC right now.

So first the Wildlings will attack and you will attempt to hold them off; then musters (in turn order), then you shall gain your Power tokens then time to submit your orders and so on. I suspect you should be getting the hang of this by now.

So can everyone please send their bids to repel the Wildling threat. (and of course as always, discussion amogst each other in this thread is encouraged)
A reminder that Lannister knows which threat you currently face.

How wildling attacks work:

Wildlings attack in the Westeros phase if the "Wildlings Attack" card is ever drawn in deck 3, or as has happened here their strength reaches 12. To fight them everyone bids power tokens much the same way as with bidding on the influence tracks. If the total number off power tokens equals or exceeds the wilding strength (so if you all together bid 12 or higher) the Night's Watch are victorious and the Wildlings are successfully repelled. If that's not the case then the Wildlings win and bad things may happen. If you do win then the wildling track is reduced to 0, if however you lose it is only reduced two spaces (so in this case back to 8)

Once you’ve all bid the top card of the wildling deck is revealed. This determins what good or bad things happen. If you are victorious it will specify a boon for the player who bid the highest (ties are settled by the holder of the Iron Throne), for exampling the card “Massing on the Milkwater” grants the highest bidder “Returns his entire House card discard pile into his hand”.
If however you lose, then the card will specify a penalty for the lowest bidder (again ties are settled by the Iron Throne), for example “Skinchanger Scout” forces them to “Discards all available Power tokens”. Then everyone else has something not quite as bad but still not good happen to them. “Mammoth Riders” has everyone else “Destroys 2 of their units anywhere”.
These effects are generally all related to one and other; “Massing on the Milkwater” is all about house cards, “Skinchanger Scout” deals with Power Tokens, and “Mammoth Riders” is mostly about units on the board.

However it should be noted there is a singe card in the deck called “Silence at the Wall” everyone of it’s effects reads “Nothing happens”. In this case if you win, the highest bidder gets no boon, and if you lose nobody suffers. Though the wildling track is still effected as per normal. I tell you all this purely because it can effect both negotiations and how you bid.

Power Tokens to be gained when Game of Thrones is Resolved (please correct me if there is an error here):

• Baratheon will gain 5 PTs
  • Lannister will gain 4 PTs
  • Greyjoy will gain 3 PTs
  • Martell will gain 3 PTs
  • Stark will gain 2 PTs
  • Tyrell will gain 2 PTs

Esteemed peers,

I remind you that we do not now face a material threat. I would not bother with expending your power if I was you.

[EDIT] Bid sent

Uh-huh.

Bid Sent

;

[OOC: I would like to remind people that (a) Lannister could be lying, there’s a lot of motivation for not being last on some of those cards and (b) defeating the wildlings now, even if it gains us nothing immediate, potentially saves us a lot of effort and power in the future. Of course, I could just be trying to get everyone to waste their power tokens as I’m in the back, and likely to stay there, so your mileage may vary. Just thought I’d say.]

Bid sent (or will be in about two minutes)

Just bid 12 power points.
I may be lying.

Bid sent.

Bid Sent

and a round of applause to our Calamari brother and his new insanity-declaring banner. IMMD. :slight_smile:

Sorry, sorry, sorry, ate too much squid and totally forgot to …

sent my bid

PS: Our new banner reflects also our new anthem. It is sung like the tune in this video…

The sun rose along the length of the wall, illuminating the ragtag bunch of conscripts sitting in their camps, and slowly freezing. Those from The Reach, who had sent twice as much men as any other great lord mutter and curse the idleness of those from The Westerlands and The Storm Lands, who sent not a single soldier to defend the realm. The Dornish-men are easy to spot, they’re hidden somewhere under a great pile of blankets, most hadn’t seen snow before the week; now they truly understand why people call The Wall ‘the end of the world’. Those from the North snigger at each other, “This is no true winter, just a refreshing Autumn Snow” they tease. But it is nothing more than idle banter to distract themselves from the threat they know they face, which the condemned men of the Night’s Watch have all said is out there; A great host of wildlings, easily twice the strength of those who had mustered here probably more if even half the stories they had heard were true. One look at any man from the Watch confirmed this as more than just something to frighten these southern men, most still as green as summer grass; this was a fate that they all knew in their bones to be coming for them. But where were they? The Rangers of the Watch had been reporting a host massing for months, but now just as it had set off; they’d vanished. Where were they?

“Aaaaahoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

The mighty horn blast got the attention of every man within a league. All turning to it’s source atop the wall to see if another would follow it. After a wait that seemed to stretch for hours it was clear that the call was alone. One blast, Ranger’s returning. The two men rode through the great tunnel below the wall to report to the Lord Commander and the commander’s of each regiment mustered to hold the realm.

“I dunno 'ow they’ve dun it m’lords. But they’ve vanished on us, them wildling’s ‘ave fuckin’ vanished on us!”

Wildling Bids

• Tyrell - 2
  • Martell - 1
  • Stark - 1
  • Greyjoy - 1
  • Baratheon - 0
  • Lannister - 0
Total - 5 Wildling Victory Wildling Track goes back two spaces to 8.

Card: Silence at the Wall

Lowest Bidder: Nothing happens Everyone Else: Nothing Happens

New Power Token Totals:

• Baratheon - 9
  • Stark - 4
  • Tyrell - 4
  • Lannister - 3
  • Greyjoy - 3
  • Martell - 0

Map: http://tinyurl.com/1PbfFncyislhrbIrQvEf

So Lannister has thus far proved to be rather honest. And you all trusted him, but only so far. I wonder who will be the first to break this fragile trust which is beginning to grow?

So it’s mustering time, please remember both your supply limits and your troop limits.

Baratheon you have the honour of the first muster. (Technically you have to decide who’s the lowest bidder, but I think we can skip this as a) as our king it clearly wasn’t you, and b) it has no measurable effect anyway)

Edit: Initially I claimed Baratheon bid 1, when he bid 0 and I’m a silly old Maester and forgot.

Damnit. Lannister used the most cunning deception of all: honesty.

(Technically you have to decide who's the lowest bidder, but I think we can skip this as a) as our king it clearly wasn't you, and b) it has no measurable effect anyway)

It’s still important. You know, for science.

;

I bid the lowest. Case closed.

Just wish I had solved my supply problems before the muster. No biggie, mind you.

MAP

SQUID!

Going by Baratheon’s map, they muster 1 Knight in Dragonstone, Upgrade footman to Knight in King’s Landing, Upgrade footman to Knight in Crackclaw point.

Greyjoy has the next muster

Just wish I had solved my supply problems before the muster.

You and me, Brother Baratheon, you and me…

The situation is dire. The war squids sunk three ships loaded with supplies. Apparently they are entranced by the smell of asparagus. Who’d have thought? Our supply lines strain at the seams, but that shall not be to our disadvantage

Flint's Finger: muster another footman Pyke: Take some bum of the street and give him a knighthood Seagard: One mustering point sends the last of our ships into the Ironman's bay, the other we forfeit

OOC: Hope I didn’t fuck it up again…

Le Map

Lannis, up and at’em

I hate to be the bearer of bad news your Squiderlyness, but we cannot feed so many armies.

Sorry Greyjoy but that muster isn’t quite valid as it leaves you with five armies (3 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 2) while you can only support four. May I suggest instead of mustering a footman in Flint’s Fingers you upgrade the one already there to a knight? Of course, if that doesn’t suit your plans feel free to change the muster as you wish.

[OOC: Can I make a request for a restatement of how many of each troop type we have? I don’t want to get backed into a weird corner (which I’ve managed even with the physical ruddy objects sitting in front of me before)]

[OOC: From the 2e rulebook, page 2:

Footmen (10 per House)
Knights (5 per House)
Ships (6 per House)
Siege Engines (2 per House)

source:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=172&esem=4 ]

MAXED OUT ON KNIGHTS?
JEEEEEEEEZ

Need to start throwing some of these away.

Edit: OOC, and also not likely to happen for a while.

Also a reminder if you check the game spreadsheet it should tell you your supply stuff as well as how many units of each type you’ve used and how many you still have available. (Provided I’ve remembered/had a chance to update it)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news your Squiderlyness, but we cannot feed so many armies.

Sorry Greyjoy but that muster isn’t quite valid as it leaves you with five armies (3 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 2) while you can only support four. May I suggest instead of mustering a footman in Flint’s Fingers you upgrade the one already there to a knight? Of course, if that doesn’t suit your plans feel free to change the muster as you wish.

Ooooooh, goddammit … and I thought I’d counted them all. Everybody for Greyjoys getting extra … ach, never mind.

Le updated map

Greyjoy’s muster: Flint’s Finger: Upgrade footman to Knight
Pyke: Knight
Seagard: Ship in Ironman’s Bay.

Lannister, time to get yo’ Muster on!