Home Videos Games Podcastle

2019 Challenge: 10 Plays of 10 Games!

Let’s try to give it a go. For me, this challenge is going to be about exploring more in-depth some game in my collection that I just played more casually up to now.

2 player (these games are not necessarily 2p only but these are the ones that most probably I will play with my wife)

• Santorini
  • Keyforge
  • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (Finish base game and get started on new adventures)
  • 7 Wonders Duel
  • Arboretum
  • Ginkgopolis - with The Experts expansion

Group required

• Root
  • Fury of Dracula
  • Inis
  • Tokyo Higway

Okay, so general life scheduling torpedoed my list last year. But that doesn’t mean I can’t try again in 2019, right? Hence a mixture of stuff that’ll be on track for 10 plays by the end of January and the gosh-I’d-like-to games that end up on this sort of list just as a reminder to get the right group together more often. So…

The Easy Collection - games my wife and I play when we get a quiet evening. Some of these make game night showings, too.
• Dominion
• Haven (brand-new to us, so fingers crossed we like it)
• Patchwork
• Race for the Galaxy
• Splendor

The Crowd Pleasers - the ones that work with any group on game night. Or with kids on a rainy Saturday.
• Codenames
• Go Cuckoo!
• Sushi Go!

If the Stars Align - the games that need the right folks on the right schedules. (Since almost all of us have small kids, these probably won’t happen.)
• Leaving Earth (but at least I can play it solo)
• Root

I may add on an as-yet-undetermined no. 11, especially if Haven lands with a thud. Or, if like last year, I pick up a big hit like Splendor that sucks time away from all the other games I’d listed.

After reading through this thread, I’ve updated my list. This isn’t final yet, and there are still some caveats.

Small/Quick/Light Games

• Valeria Card Kingdoms
  • Junk Art
  • 5 Minute Dungeon

Slightly Heavier/more involved games

• Aeon’s End
  • Seal Team Flix
  • Claustraphonia 1643 / Aristeia! / Rum and Bones 2nd Tide*

Campaign/Scenario driven games

• Imperial Assault
  • Mechs vs Minions
  • Arkham Horror LCG**

*As far as the Skirmish games, whichever one can hit the table the easiest will be the one. This includes my son grasping the rules, so while Aristeia! May be the shortest, it might not be the one.

**I actually 3 concerns for AH:LCG being on the list;

1. How soon can I get the base game to the table (just grabbed it on a black Friday sale and the rules are dense!)
  2. Will my GF be into it, or put off by the rules/complexity (hoping as its coop we can make it work)
  3. If the above two don’t slow us down, how quickly can I add content to give us a reason to keep playing beyond a second (or maybe even third) playthrough.

(I still need a 10th)

Its on. Burgle bros gave way to Flamme Rouge as the newer game.