Home Videos Games Podcastle

2019 Challenge: 10 Plays of 10 Games!

Once again, we have reach the arbitrarily designated point in our space-time to declare that one year has passed. While the astrophysicist in me feels obliged to point out (every year) that this is really somewhat meaningless… by the same token, it is nice to set goals and to check those goals periodically. And, hey, one circumnavigation of the closest fusion source is as good a period as any other!

Last year I did better than 2017, but still didn’t manage the full 10x10. But it did help focus me on trying to play games I already own and love, rather than buying new shinies every opportunity I had. As a result, I’m going to try and play the following games 10 times in 2019:

Gloomhaven
Blackstone Fortress
Game of Thrones 2nd Edition
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition
Scythe
Forbidden Stars
Eclipse
Star Trek Ascendancy
Level 7 Omega Protocol
Gen7 (Conditional)
Xia: Legends of a Drift System (Conditional)
Imperial Assault (Conditional)

I’m not including any of my wargames this year (Armada, Infinity, or WarMachine), since those are a different scale. I’m also intentionally picking longer, bigger games I love in the hopes of getting those to the table more often .

Lastly, you will note that this list actually includes 12 games, but 3 of them are listed as “Conditional”. Gen7 I haven’t played yet, but I’m hoping it will be good. Xia hasn’t arrived yet, but should shortly. And Imperial Assault currently requires me to paint a LOT of bad guys before I’d be really happy putting it on the table. So I’ll be dropping two of those as the year goes on, depending on arrival times/if it’s good.

As in previous years, I’d love for anyone/everyone to join me in this. I post once a month, and do my best to encourage anyone else who wants to try out the challenge!

Best of luck everyone, and Happy New Year!

That is a heavy list for a 10x10! I wish you the best of luck on your joyful journey!

I didn’t participate lastyear as I found the forum part way through 2018, but I’m going to see what I can do for 2019.

This list isn’t final as I dont have my full 10, but I will update over the next week or two as I decide on what games to include.

• Imperial Assault w/ app or 1v1 Skirmish
  • Mechs vs Minions
  • Aeon’s End
  • Ghost Stories
  • Claustrophobia 1643 (Conditional)
  • Rum & Bones 2nd Tide (Conditional)
  • Aristeia! (Conditional)

Similar to Marx09’s list, anything noted as Conditional is something that I expect to either arrive or purchase in the next 1-2 months. If anything about that changes, I’ll adjust the list.

I’m also trying to avoid anything that I fully expect to hit the table 10+ times without even trying (mostly games that are quick and easy to set up, with short play times).

That’s an impressive list. Right now my list would be ‘unbox stuff’ let alone play it 10 times. I definitely for sure will 100% unbox Gloomhaven sometime in 2019.

I am totally going to make a 10x10 for the year, but I want to give it some thought first. Last year I put on a number of games I have owned for a while but have either not hit the table yet or have only been played once. While my goal of playing these games has not changed, I need to be more realistic of what is actually attainable considering the craziness that is my life and the schedule I keep.

I’m trying for a soloable list. Under BGG rules you get to pick 11 games, so:

• Hostage Negotiator
  • V-Commandos
  • Sagrada
  • Magic Maze
  • The Captain Is Dead
  • Star Realms Frontiers
  • Dice Hospital
  • Flamme Rouge
  • The Networks
  • Renegade
  • Colony

Great starting list! I have the old Claustrophobia, and I enjoy it so much that I couldn’t quite bring myself to pull the trigger on the new one. And I love Aristeia!, although it doesn’t hit the table very often (1v1 games rarely do, despite some great ones in my collection, including those two, Space Hulk, Sekigahara, Catacombs, Flick 'Em Up, etc… etc…). Ooh, and Mechs vs Minions was a tonne of fun! Best of luck, looking forward to your progress!

I mean, all joking aside, unboxing Gloomhaven is a pretty impressive feat. Our group probably spent three of four hours punching out things, sorting things, putting things in little envelopes or file sorting things… helps a tonne with the setup and teardown, but yeah, it’s a lot of work. You got this!

I absolutely respect that. I am very much a “leap first, think later” kinda guy (one of the many reasons I didn’t make a good astrophysicist!), but I totally respect and understand the desire to be more thoughtful in your approach to this sorta thing. Good on ya! Can’t wait to see the list!

Oooh, Star Realms Frontiers is solo-able!?
I don’t know Renegade (I know the company, but not the game), but am reasonably familiar with the rest of the list. Looks like some really good games! I have a few games I’ve tried solo (and I just picked up Mage Knight, possibly the best single player board game ever, if BGG is to be believed?), but my favourite is Astra Titanus, a little one from Victory Point games. It manages to straddle that line between really clever mechanics, and super fast gameplay.

Yes, it comes with a bunch of double-sized solo challenge cards. The rules are a bit oddly split between card and rulebook, but it’s definitely a thing.

Renegade is a cyberpunk hacking game that I’ve got to like a lot recently (I didn’t hear about the KS but I found a copy at retail). Basically a deckbuilder but each new card displaces an old one.

I only learned about Claustrophobia last year, so it was long out of print. The timing of the new edition was very fortunate.

Aristeia! has been on my list for a few months, and I may finally break down and get it. I absolutely LOVE the theme, amd the whole idea of a hero based arena “shooter” sounds great.
R&B 2nd Tide may be a bday gift for my son, but I havemt decided for sure yet. Alternatively I may grab Krosmaster Arena, but that might be a bit too similar to Aristiea!.

Most of our gaming is at 2p, either coop or competitive, so typicla 1v1 Skirmish games are a great option. It’s why I didn’t add Wildlands to the list, as I’m not yet sure how it plays at 2. I’ve heard mixed opinions, but we’ll see soon for ourselves (I’m hoping to get it to the table today!).

Going to aim for a mix of heavy (and Legacy) and lighter games. Going to be moving soon too, so that’ll be a month w/o games most likely, so this will be interesting.

Probably insane
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition

Legacy and or campaign games
Imperial Assault
Mechs vs. Minions
Pandemic Legacy
Aeon’s End (Going to lump the Standard and Legacy into the same category to make it easier, but really hoping to mostly play Legacy)

Games I’ve owned for years but only played once
Merchants and Marauders
Castles of Burgundy

Simple games I can get to the table a lot
The Mind
Illusion

Old favorites (I didn’t play much last year)
Cosmic Encounter
Race for the Galaxy

11th game "just in case"
Last Night on Earth (Don’t love this game, but my wife does. So should probably get it to the table more for her.)

Simple games I can get to the table a lot
Tea Dragon Society
Cat Lady (3-4 players)

Family Favorites (I want to play more)
Burgle Bros
Reef

Legacy and or campaign games
Pandemic Legacy: S2
Near and Far (one full campaign)

Expansions
7 wonders duel with Pantheon
Magic Maze: Max Security

Euros
Coimbra
Viticulture*

I reserve the right to swap Viticulture fot whatever mid weight euro I next buy.

Aye. Smash that @simian . We’re rooting for you. Would you like to share your 10 x 1 unboxing list?

I badly failed at my 2018 10x10 (only 44 of the required 100 plays, with some games untouched). As a result I am trying to think smarter about the 2019 challenge. I want to include games that I think there’s actually a good chance will hit the table that often, as well as games that I think will reveal greater depths with further play. My preliminary list looks a little like this:

• Holding On: The Troubled Life of Billy Kerr
  • Spirit Island
  • Raiders of The North Sea
  • Hanamikoji*
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Carcassonne
  • Arkham Horror: The Card Game
  • Gloomhaven
  • Stone Age
  • Dragonfire

I’m trying to balance the mix with short and long games and a variety of weights. I’m also trying to encourage myself to dig deeper into some campaign games that don’t hit the table often enough for me to engage with the story.

As for the asterisk on Hanamikoji, I am actually interested in trying to play that at least once a day for the year. It’s a quick play time and always an interesting puzzle so I’m interested to see what a year’s worth of gaming does to my play style and strategy.

Actually it’s not as bad thought it was:

Opened but unpunched

• Gloomhaven
  • Arkham Horror 3e

Unopened

• 5 Android: Netrunner Datapacks
  • Gloom

However I’ll probably be going on a buying frenzy soon so the number is going to jump.

Hey, TI:4 is no longer the insanity TI:3 is/was. I managed 8 playthroughs last year without particularly trying!
Well, technically 7, since one of those was TI:3. A farewell tour, as it were. Anyway, cool list! Two on there that I respect but don’t personally enjoy (Merchants & Marauders and Cosmic Encounter… too random for my personal tastes), but the rest could’ve just as easily been on my list!

My partner loves Tea Dragon Society. As a game I wasn’t blown away, but holy hells is it adorable. I haven’t tried Reef myself (and have steered many customers away from it based on reviews and discussions with Darryl Andrews, the designer of Sagrada and who happens to visit my store monthly), but I’m curious how it goes for you.

And a full campaign of N&F!? I like the way you think! Good luck!

300+ plays of Hanamikoji!? Amazing! I love the game but can’t find a win with a map, illuminated signs, and all cheat codes active. A great puzzle.
Never heard of “Holding On”, sounds dark and potentially amazing.

I agree with this. I was disappointed initially. I think i would have liked differemt dragons to play differently, but adjusted expectations and a lovely production won me over. A joy to play for me. I revommend Katie O’neill’s new comic for your partner. A childrens story but touches on grief, depression and ecology. Aquivorn Cove.

I like it but I think it probably leans into my tastes. Abstract, spatial, chunky pieces. Sagrada is an interesting comparison because both significant compromise to current conditions in pursuit of a larger strategy. Reef does not necessarily make these decidions feel satisfyin. There is a very great sensation of there perhaps being a better path. I like that but I suspect it is not everyones cup of tea.

Ideally two. One with the expansion. We’ll see.

I’ve only played Tea Dragon Society once, and was initially confused, because it is billed as a deck builder but I found it to be more of an engine builder. The art is gorgeous, and even the competitive side of it feels very serene. A perfect marriage of theme and mechanic, but there’s not a lot to really sink your teeth into.

I think I’ll dip my toe into this challenge this year, and see what happens.

• Race for the Galaxy (probably solo plays, maybe 2P)
  • Near and Far
  • Rise of Queensdale
  • Charterstone
  • Shakespeare (probably solo plays)
  • Sansoucci
  • Harry Potter Deck Builder & Monster Box of Monsters
  • Lords of Waterdeep
  • Quacks of Quedlinburg
  • Five Tribes

Some great choices there!

First time for me as well (also first post on the forum [edit: I stand corrected, it’s only my first real post])! This is the 10x10 list I want to tackle with my partner:

• Brass Birmingham
  • Concordia
  • A Feast for Odin
  • Great Western Trail
  • Mystic Vale
  • Orleans
  • Roll for the Galaxy
  • Tzolk’in
  • Viticulture
  • Welcome To …

This list comes with the resolution to hold back on buying new games this years and instead buy a couple of expansions for the games on this list (specifically for GWT, AFFO, RFTG, Tzolk’in and Viticulture). For the last few years I would always prefer to pick up a new game and enjoy an entirely new experience rather than buy an expansion. However, I feel like I have a game my collection right now for each niche I’m interested in, so my goal for 2019 is to get deeper into the games I already know and love.

Additionally, after the first year of playing with my gaming group, we are choosing a similiar path, trying to focus on fewer games that we can play more often, although in a less formal manner than YxZ list. We want to keep playing Cosmic Encounter, Terraforming Mars, Terra Mystica and play through a Charterstone campaign.

Should be a good year! :slight_smile:

I view this challenge as a way for me to play some of my unplayed games (more than one time) played, or some of my longer, more complex games played more often. It’s been very good for this so far!

1. Assault of the Giants
  2. Heroes of Terrinoth
  3. Kemet
  4. Dragonfire
  5. Flick 'Em Up: Dead of Winter
  6. Homeland: The Game
  7. Dungeon Petz
  8. Rialto
  9. Trajan
  10. Nippon